Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Iowa Governor calls on people to repent according to the Bible

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM
  • 162 Replies
2 moms liked this

I know I will catch hell for this but I think this great and to me it shows good character in this man. However I don't believe it should be law or even suggested and I don't see this as trying to impose any law or religion on any one just encouraging. I think he must have gotten the cell phone idea from us Muslim's lol. We all have the call to prayer downloaded on our phones that alert us any one in ear shot 5 times a day.

An official proclamation signed by Gov. Terry Branstad (R-IA) has called on Iowans to pray and repent on a daily basis.

In a public ceremony earlier this year, Branstad signed the proclamation ahead of a July 14 revival at the Iowa Capitol.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Terry E Branstad, as Governor of the State of Iowa, do hereby invite all Iowans who choose to join in the thoughtful prayer and humble repentance according to II Chronicles 7:14 in favor of our state and nation to come together on July 14, 2014.

On Tuesday, Branstad was also one of the speakers at the 11-hour Christian event.

The governor explained that his proclamation “was very much in line with the great tradition” that started with President George Washington.

Branstad thanked the attendees for encouraging those who served in public office to “follow God’s will.”

Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynold (R) also spoke, praising the crowd for “standing up for our rights, and for individual liberties.”

The “If 7:14″ campaign sponsored by Iowa’s Family Leader asks everyone to set their cell phones to remind them to pray and repent each day at 7:14 a.m.

http://thedebateinitiative.com/2014/07/16/iowa-governor-calls-on-people-to-repent-according-to-the-bible/

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM
3 moms liked this
The More powerful religion gets, the more hell this world experiences. Lets put our brains where our bibles are and move forward
Mrs.KAZ
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM
8 moms liked this
This is a good idea, this is not forcing religion on anyone, just re-enforcing it for the people who pray already.
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: This is a good idea, this is not forcing religion on anyone, just re-enforcing it for the people who pray already.

I don't get the impression that he wants to force. I don't know of him the article just caught my eye and it seems to me he is just suggesting something that makes him happy and works in his life. Forced religion does not work. If it is forced it is not real and valid. People are drawn by the heart to religion to get something out of it. If one is forced there is no good in it then it becomes a punishment.

Mrs.KAZ
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM
5 moms liked this
I didn't say it was forced, I said it wasn't forcing, just re-enforcing or reminding people to pray who would or do anyway.
I agree, forced religion in any form is not good. People need to come to God in their own way, because they want too. That is the only way you can develop a good relationship with Him.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: This is a good idea, this is not forcing religion on anyone, just re-enforcing it for the people who pray already.

I don't get the impression that he wants to force. I don't know of him the article just caught my eye and it seems to me he is just suggesting something that makes him happy and works in his life. Forced religion does not work. If it is forced it is not real and valid. People are drawn by the heart to religion to get something out of it. If one is forced there is no good in it then it becomes a punishment.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:41 AM
9 moms liked this

depends on your definition of 'religion'

The way I see it is that we as a society have lost our faith in something bigger than ourselves.  This has brought on the weakening of families, and acceptance of so much evil.  Morality is almost gone and people are ridiculed for having values. 

respectfully disagree Celesital

Quoting -Celestial-: The More powerful religion gets, the more hell this world experiences. Lets put our brains where our bibles are and move forward

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I know you were not saying it was forced. I was replying in agreement with you.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: I didn't say it was forced, I said it wasn't forcing, just re-enforcing or reminding people to pray who would or do anyway. I agree, forced religion in any form is not good. People need to come to God in their own way, because they want too. That is the only way you can develop a good relationship with Him.
Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Mrs.KAZ
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Sorry, I misunderstood, my thought process is sluggish this morning, no coffee yet :-)

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: I didn't say it was forced, I said it wasn't forcing, just re-enforcing or reminding people to pray who would or do anyway. I agree, forced religion in any form is not good. People need to come to God in their own way, because they want too. That is the only way you can develop a good relationship with Him.
Quoting 1stmuslimah:

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree that "definition" of religion is a factor for me as it is you but this is not place for me to state that. My belief's don't much differ than those you say you hold. As Muslims we accept Christianity and we accept the 1st message of the divine Bible given by God. Christian's and Jews are considered by God our cousins and only uneducated Muslim's who have never been taught or taken the interest to be educated in their own religion don't know that because they don't have the interest to know. I have had students back when I taught Islamic course's that were right off the boat, their birth certificate said they were Muslim, they had Muslim names but they didn't even know how to pray and had never even read the Quran out side of robotically memorized bits and pieces. Therefore I know exactly what your reply is saying. If it were a private group to a specific audience I would voice my belief of a define way of worship but being that is a group full of different religion's and lack of for some I won't

I am in complete agreement that this world has lost sense of morals, ethic's, and respect for family. Allot of it is down right disgusting, disturbing, and destructive. That is why this piece I was not even looking for but just happen to stumble on stuck out to me. It's always nice to see someone in a position of leadership no matter the status of his level on the totem pole stand out and speak about something that is so unpopular in today's world. Most would be afraid they would not get reelected.

Quoting jobseeker:

depends on your definition of 'religion'

The way I see it is that we as a society have lost our faith in something bigger than ourselves.  This has brought on the weakening of families, and acceptance of so much evil.  Morality is almost gone and people are ridiculed for having values. 

respectfully disagree Celesital

Quoting -Celestial-: The More powerful religion gets, the more hell this world experiences. Lets put our brains where our bibles are and move forward

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Been there, done that too many times to counts lol 

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: Sorry, I misunderstood, my thought process is sluggish this morning, no coffee yet :-)
Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM
6 moms liked this

Religion should be a private matter between the individual and the deity he/she worships.  We had a former minister as president in the 70's.  He never, ever proselytized while in office, because he knew it was inappropriate.  Gov. Branstad, is running roughshod over his constituents who are not Christian.  Shame on him.  I hope someone publicly admonishes him.  This is an inappropriate use of his office.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)