Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

OK high school administrator shames female students with dress code, calls them ‘skanks’

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:45 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
skank_OK_screengrab

The school superintendent of Oklahoma high school is under fire from parents who feel she humiliated their daughters at the start of the school year over their revealing clothing, according to KFOR.

Noble High School superintendent Ronda Bass, who calls herself “Mama Bear Bass” after the school’s mascot, sat down with some of her female students at the end of the first day of school to discuss their attire.

Claiming that she is very protective of her students, the females in particular, Bass claims, “The first question I asked was how many of you in here believe that there are female students on the campus today that are dressed completely inappropriate. Most of their hands went up.”

Student Stephanie Stewart, a senior, says that is not quite accurate.

Stewart said, “The first sentence was, ‘Have y’all ever seen any ‘skanks’ around this school’. Around the end she said, ‘I don’t want to see anyone’s ass hanging out of their shorts.”

The following morning, Bass showed up unannounced and asked just the girls to stand up while she did a dress code check,  asking some of the girls to bend over.

Stewart said she was singled out because Bass felt her dress was too short.

Bass explained her actions saying, “If you’re not comfortable with bending over, we might have a problem.”

Stewart said she thought the superintendent handled the situation poorly, sending some girls home crying on the first week of school.

“A lot of girls actually felt humiliated,” says Stewart. “You could see it in their faces that they were.”

Asked if she referred to the girls as ‘skanks, Bass demurred saying she is only trying to protect the girl’s reputations.

“I knew that students from other towns were calling our girls really negative names. The message I wanted to send to them was I don’t want them to be called those names,” Bass explained. “I want us to be known as the classy lady Bears.”

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.KAZ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:11 AM
4 moms liked this
There should be a dress code that is enforced, there are some girls who dress inappropriately. But the superintendent should just enforce the code, and help build up the girls, not bring them down.

It should really be the parents teaching their girls how to dress and making sure they don't leave the house looking like they are going out clubbing. We teach our daughter to dress modestly. You can be pretty and attractive using modesty too.
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Let the back to school rants begin.

There are those among us who think dress codes are made to be challenged.  We hear these stories every year.  Hair, short shorts, strapless tops, piercings are the biggest points of contention.  There are always those that holler about their children's freedom of expression, and argue that 'their' child's (fill in the blank) is not a distraction and they have a right to express themselves. 

People think about what is a more important right;  education or dressing /  expressing yourself anyway you want?

BEXi
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Asking them to bend over seems disgustingly wrong to me.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM
4 moms liked this

Oh boo hoo hoo

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
She shouldn't be calling the girls names. It is unnecessary in order to maintain the dress code. She doesn't even need to do the bend over test. They had the fingertip rule at my daughter's school, skirts must extend below the fingertips with hands down at sides.
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Our school has the kids get on their knees. The hem has to touch the floor.

But yea, name calling isn't helping anyone in this situation

Quoting romalove: She shouldn't be calling the girls names. It is unnecessary in order to maintain the dress code. She doesn't even need to do the bend over test. They had the fingertip rule at my daughter's school, skirts must extend below the fingertips with hands down at sides.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Because they will never bend over on their own during the day?

Quoting BEXi: Asking them to bend over seems disgustingly wrong to me.

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

"Mamma Bear" ?

Barf. ( That is so similar to Palin )

I do think there should be some dress codes and kids need rules but she was way out of line to call them "skanks". Ugh.

I wish someone would tell her that she is not that attractive and probably not that smart. Her hairdo sucks. She has a double chin.

Yah, I'll fat shame her,LOL.  She needs to now how it feels to be unfairly labeled,right?

Seriously that sounds bad doesn't it? Might hurt her feelings. It is rude. Someone should explain that concept to her, maybe by confronting her?.

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: There should be a dress code that is enforced, there are some girls who dress inappropriately. But the superintendent should just enforce the code, and help build up the girls, not bring them down. It should really be the parents teaching their girls how to dress and making sure they don't leave the house looking like they are going out clubbing. We teach our daughter to dress modestly. You can be pretty and attractive using modesty too.

Well said!

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Dr Seuss
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I don't like her choice of words and it's inappropriate.  This is also a she said she said too.  So we don't know what really happened. I also think she was trying to come down to their level and make the girls feel comforable too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN