Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Muslims Force Vermont Restaurant to Remove Bacon Sign

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this
Local Winooski, Vermont restaurant Sneakers Bistro has removed a sign that read, “Yield Sneakers Bacon” citing opposition from a Muslim community member and safety concerns.
The sign was put up as part of a city program that allows businesses to post an advertisement in an area where they have helped maintain city flowerbeds. The sign that read “Yield Sneakers Bacon” was removed after a woman, identifying herself as a Muslim, posted in an online community forum, stating she was personally offended by the sign, according to a WPTZ News report. WPTZ wrote that the woman who complained online called the sign “insensitive to those who do not consume pork.”
Saturday morning the restaurant posted to Facebook, “We are here to serve people BREAKFAST, not politics. We removed the sign that was located on public property as a gesture of respect for our diverse community. There were also concerns raised about safety(emphasis added). Removing it was not a difficult decision. We still love bacon. We still love eggs. Please have the political conversation elsewhere.”
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM
5 moms liked this

good grief.    they shouldn't have removed it. 

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't know who you are, but I am actually grateful that you keep posting the crap you do.  You are only proving me right about how hateful and myopic some on the Christian right are and justifying my concerns over people who think as you do. 

For example, in this silly OP, the restaurant owner was clearly not forced to remove the sign.  It was a choice they made because of ONE person, claiming to be a Muslim, stating their displeasure with it (which is silly in itself).

But I say, keep at it.  Please keep on posting as you have so that everytime I have a complaint about the religious right, I have all the examples you have provided as to why you and those who think as you do are as far from Christian as can be.

Btw, I don't actually believe you are Christian and like others, I suspect an alt.  Perhaps you are trying to further damage the religious right movement.  Whatever your motivation, keep it coming.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:45 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting idunno1234:

I don't know who you are, but I am actually grateful that you keep posting the crap you do.  You are only proving me right about how hateful and myopic some on the Christian right are and justifying my concerns over people who think as you do. 

For example, in this silly OP, the restaurant owner was clearly not forced to remove the sign.  It was a choice they made because of ONE person, claiming to be a Muslim, stating their displeasure with it (which is silly in itself).

But I say, keep at it.  Please keep on posting as you have so that everytime I have a complaint about the religious right, I have all the examples you have provided as to why you and those who think as you do are as far from Christian as can be.

Btw, I don't actually believe you are Christian and like others, I suspect an alt.  Perhaps you are trying to further damage the religious right movement.  Whatever your motivation, keep it coming.

jaw dropwow, that is some nastiness suddenly blown out.  take a chill pill and go to bed. 

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM

We all know who she is, this alt just makes her true colors shine. 

Quoting idunno1234:

Jesus has left the building...

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this
They chose, weren't forced to do anything.

And if I couldn't eat bacon, I'd be mad about it too, that shit is delish!
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I may not be religious, but I still admire Jesus, whoever he may have been and his message that still resonates 2000 years later.

So someone with an sn like hers that posts the repugnant mean spirited posts that she has is not doing the religious right any favors and certainly doesn't stand for anything Christlike, quite the opposite.

Its as if she is actually anti-Jesus and yes, that pisses me off. 

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting idunno1234:

jaw dropwow, that is some nastiness suddenly blown out.  take a chill pill and go to bed. 

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
3 moms liked this

What a stupid thing to be upset about and an ever more stupid title for the OP.

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM

They were not forced to do anything they made a choice, so stupid! 

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Okay, first off I don't care what her sn name is or who she may be, second I don't see how posting a real life event is mean-spirited.  It happened, and I see something that needs to be learned from it. Third, it's a mystery to me how posting this can be construed to be anti-Jesus or unChristlike, and why you felt the need to rip her to shreds.   It sounds more like you are venting some hostilities from past discussions that you disagree with. 
I don't know this person, but just reading the post doesn't give me any indications of what you flew out with.   wow!

Quoting idunno1234:

I may not be religious, but I still admire Jesus, whoever he may have been and his message that still resonates 2000 years later.

So someone with an sn like hers that posts the repugnant mean spirited posts that she has is not doing the religious right any favors and certainly doesn't stand for anything Christlike, quite the opposite.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting idunno1234:

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Its hard to separate a person from their postings, especially if they are consistent and she is certainly consistent.

This article does not state that anyone was forced to take a sign down.  Does it not bother you that the title is deceptive?  Is that Christlike behavior to you? 

I am not always a saint on this site but I don't just pick fights with people to get my jollies, that's not how I roll. 

Her postings bother me on every level for a number of reasons including the fact that she insults Jesus virtually every single time she posts.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Okay, first off I don't care what her sn name is or who she may be, second I don't see how posting a real life event is mean-spirited.  It happened, and I see something that needs to be learned from it. Third, it's a mystery to me how posting this can be construed to be anti-Jesus or unChristlike, and why you felt the need to rip her to shreds.   It sounds more like you are venting some hostilities from past discussions that you disagree with.  I don't know this person, but just reading the post doesn't give me any indications of what you flew out with.   wow!

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting idunno1234:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)