Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

S/O Social Worker Fail in the UK

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

Report Details 16 Years Of 'Horrific Abuse' Of Children In U.K. Town

Alexis Jay, author of a report released Tuesday that documents the abuse of 1,400 children in Rotherham, England, says local authorities were aware of the problem for years and did nothing.

Dave Higgens/PA Photos/Landov

An investigation out on Tuesday documents the abuse of more than 1,400 children in Rotherham, England, and says local authorities were aware of the problem for years and did not respond.

Alexis Jay, who authored the report, used to be chief inspector of social work in Scotland.

She's seen a lot. But despite being deeply familiar with the details of this report, even she seemed shaken by the words coming out of her mouth at Tuesday's press conference about the victims, some as young as 11, abused from 1997 until last year.

"It is hard to describe the appalling nature of the abuse the child victims suffered. They were raped by multiple perpetrators. They were trafficked to other towns and cities in the north of England. They were abducted, beaten and intimidated," Jay said.

Rotherham is a town of a quarter-million people in northern England. One question this raises is how such widespread abuse could have gone on for 16 years without local authorities knowing about it. Jay said authorities did know about it. Junior staff alerted their superiors again and again. She called it a "collective failure" by senior police and politicians.

"The evidence was disbelieved, suppressed or ignored. Child victims were often blamed for what had happened to them, while no action was taken against the perpetrators," she said.

She said some officials were in denial that something so awful could happen in Rotherham. Others were afraid that trying to tackle the problem would raise racial tensions. The accused perpetrators are of Pakistani descent.

"Senior people in the council and police wanted to play down the ethnic dimensions. Front-line staff in social care were confused about what they were supposed to say and how to describe the problem for fear of being thought racist," Jay said.

In fact, this is the third investigation into the crimes. The previous two reports were ignored or rejected because officials didn't believe their conclusions. The leader of the local council, Roger Stone, resigned Tuesday. His deputy, Paul Lakin, said the council failed in its duties.

"I am deeply sorry, and I offer my sincere apologies to the young people who have suffered such horrific abuse and also to their families," Lakin says.

He committed to never letting this happen again.

David Niven, former chairman of the British Association of Social Workers, says it's not realistic to believe this will never happen again. The U.K. has always had a problem recognizing and addressing child sexual abuse, he says.

"And I suspect many or most Western industrialized countries have got something of a similar problem in terms of huge denial among law enforcement and social services as to the scale of things," Niven says.

The U.K. has been wrestling with a string of recent revelations of child sexual abuse. But most of those crimes were committed decades ago. These offenses took place right up to the present day — which means there are also many child victims right now, and Niven says society has an obligation to care for them.

"Whatever the child's and the young person's circumstances are, I would hope that they're given a menu of things depending on what particular needs that individual has that suits them best," Niven says.

Five men are in jail in connection with the crimes. It's not clear whether other arrests are expected.

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Rotherham child abuse report: 1,400 children subjected to 'appalling' sexual exploitation over 16-years

Children were subjected to rape, trafficked to other cities and beaten, report published today finds

CRIME CORRESPONDENT

The horrifying cost of official failure to confront widespread child sexual exploitation has been revealed in a damning report detailing how abusers exploited 1,400 children from a single town over 16 years.

Gangs of Asian men groomed, abused and trafficked vulnerable children while police were contemptuous of the victims and the council ignored what was going on, in spite of years of warnings and reports about what was happening.

Despite what the inquiry head called a “blatant” failure of leadership at the Labour-run council, nobody will be sacked or face inquiries into their inaction. The leader of the council, Roger Stone, quit today because of what he called “historic failings”. He apologised in 2013 for the failure to protect children in the town – and the inquiry said the act of contrition should have been made years earlier.

The report commissioned by the council, covering 1997 to 2013, detailed cases where children as young as 11 had been raped by a number of different men, abducted, beaten and trafficked to other towns and cities in the north of England to continue the abuse.

Professor Alexis Jay led the investigation into child abuse in RotherhamProfessor Alexis Jay led the investigation into child abuse in Rotherham (PA)
Professor Alexis Jay, who wrote the report, said she found “children who had been doused in petrol and threatened with being set alight, threatened with guns, made to witness brutally violent rapes and threatened they would be next if they told anyone”.

It said that three reports from 2002 to 2006 highlighted the extent of child exploitation and links to wider criminality but nothing was done, with the findings either suppressed or simply ignored. Police failed to act on the crimes and treated the victims with contempt and deemed that they were “undesirables” not worthy of protection, the inquiry team was told.

One young person told the inquiry that “gang rape” was a usual part of growing up in the area of Rotherham where she lived. In most of the cases that the inquiry team examined, the victims were white children under the age of 16 and the perpetrators named in the files as “Asian males”.

The report said council staff were scared of being accused of racism by flagging up the issue in a town of nearly 260,000, where 8 per cent were from black and minority ethnic backgrounds.

However, schools raised the alert over the years about children as young as 11 being picked up by taxis, given presents and phones and taken to Rotherham and other towns and cities.

Rotherham Council leader Roger Stone resigned following the report's publicationRotherham Council leader Roger Stone resigned following the report's publication (PA)

One researcher for the Home Office who raised concerns with senior police officers about the level of abuse in 2002 was told not to do so again, then suspended and sidelined, the inquiry found. Youth workers who worked with the victims and had already repeatedly told police and officials about the problems were criticised by full-time council staff and their roles downgraded.

The focus on Rotherham followed the jailing of five Asian men in 2010 after they were found guilty of grooming teenage girls for sex. The five men, described as sexual predators by the judge, groomed teenage girls and had sex with them in cars and parks in Rotherham.

After the five were jailed, police said the case showed how seriously the force and the council treat the issue of child sexual exploitation.

Rotherham Council chief executive Martin KimberRotherham Council chief executive Martin Kimber (PA)
Following the case, The Times revealed details showing that police and agencies had extensive knowledge of these activities for a decade, yet had failed to prosecute.

John Cameron, head of the NSPCC helpline, said: “This report is truly damning and highlights consistent failures to protect children from sexual abuse at the hands of predatory groups of men. It is quite astonishing that even when frontline staff raised concerns, these were not acted upon so allowing devastating child sexual exploitation to go unchallenged.”

Council chief executive Martin Kimber said that all the key officers concerned with child protection during the time of the review had left the council. 

prolife4jesus
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM
They did nothing because liberal guilt made them afraid to stand up for what is good. People say all the time the Islam is a religion of good but how can it be when a majority of Muslims seem to be child predators and terrorist.
Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems the fear of the "race card" was only a minor issue compared to the epic fail on every single level for 16 years that people could not accept that the abuse of children was really happening. 

Not so different from the USA where prostitutes are punished as criminals when in fact they are the victims of years and years of child sexual exploitation.

Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting prolife4jesus: They did nothing because liberal guilt made them afraid to stand up for what is good. People say all the time the Islam is a religion of good but how can it be when a majority of Muslims seem to be child predators and terrorist.

I have just about had enough of your fucking bullshit; This has absolutlely nothing about liberal or guilt or muslim or christian or any of the other fucking push-button words/topics you like to throw around like vomit.

This is an epic fail on every single level by authortites to average people.

As a social worker- you personally offend and piss me off.

Unless you have something productive to add, I will ignore the puke that spills from your mouth.

Good day to you.

joyfree
by Kat on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting prolife4jesus: They did nothing because liberal guilt made them afraid to stand up for what is good. People say all the time the Islam is a religion of good but how can it be when a majority of Muslims seem to be child predators and terrorist.

I have just about had enough of your fucking bullshit; This has absolutlely nothing about liberal or guilt or muslim or christian or any of the other fucking push-button words/topics you like to throw around like vomit.

Unless you have something productive to add, I will ignore the puke that spills from your mouth.

Good day to you.

Yes, I agree! I wish that she could find that rock she crawled out from under and go back where she came from if she cannot post anything other than false generalizations and pure biased slander.

Just SAD.
littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with both of you.

She is like the Plague, or bedbugs....offensive and hard to get rid of.

Quoting joyfree:
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Good day to you.

Yes, I agree! I wish that she could find that rock she crawled out from under and go back where she came from if she cannot post anything other than false generalizations and pure biased slander. Just SAD.

Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting joyfree:
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Good day to you.

Yes, I agree! I wish that she could find that rock she crawled out from under and go back where she came from if she cannot post anything other than false generalizations and pure biased slander. Just SAD.

I reacted poorly. I regret my words but I do not regret my actions.  I'm sorry but this person has been crawling under my skin since she arrived here.

I will tolerate we have differences of opinions however her constant bashing of all things other than the box she has put herself in (i.e  bashing liberals, Muslims, Catholics, social workers, etc.....) enough IS enough. 

misterslave
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I've never been fond of Social Workers in general now this really irks me! Where I live there was a CPS Social Worker that was using numerology as the basis for removing children from their parents, she was even harassing parents and following them at all hours of the day on her days off. That was about 10 years ago. I have a dear friend that had her children removed from her care because her husband was abusive, instead of helping her and her kids CPS just took them away, she missed two months of being with her children. Later a judge determined that they never should have been taken in the first place. Meanwhile I've called CPS on my neighbor who I've witnessed smoking joints while breastfeeding, and leaving her 10 year old to babysit her 2 month old over night and they do nothing. The UK and US really should consider a new system.
Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I know social workers get a bad rap. Please know however, CPS workers are generally NOT social workers. They are simply state workers not all of whom have a college degree and if they do, it is not necessarily for social work. And of course, it only takes a few bad ones to spoil the whole batch.  

Quoting misterslave: I've never been fond of Social Workers in general now this really irks me! Where I live there was a CPS Social Worker that was using numerology as the basis for removing children from their parents, she was even harassing parents and following them at all hours of the day on her days off. That was about 10 years ago. I have a dear friend that had her children removed from her care because her husband was abusive, instead of helping her and her kids CPS just took them away, she missed two months of being with her children. Later a judge determined that they never should have been taken in the first place. Meanwhile I've called CPS on my neighbor who I've witnessed smoking joints while breastfeeding, and leaving her 10 year old to babysit her 2 month old over night and they do nothing. The UK and US really should consider a new system.

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting prolife4jesus: They did nothing because liberal guilt made them afraid to stand up for what is good. People say all the time the Islam is a religion of good but  how can it be when a majority of Muslims seem to be child predators and terrorist.

There's not one thing you said here that has anything to do with the OP. With all due respect you truly need to educate yourself because you're comments are a bit extreme and are not true. smh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN