Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

In Wake of Arizona Uzi Killing, NRA Tweets About Kids Having Fun With Guns

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

In Wake of Arizona Uzi Killing, NRA Tweets About Kids Having Fun With Guns

The NRA Women account—sponsored by Smith & Wesson—has since taken down the tweet.

| Wed Aug. 27, 2014 7:43 PM EDT

There's no shortage of grim gun news in the United States, including regularkillings involving children, but there was something particularly disturbing about an incident on Monday in which a 9-year-old girl accidentally shot her instructor to death with an Uzi. The tragedy unfolded at an Arizona gun range catering to tourists called Bullets and Burgers. How on earth was such a child allowed to fire such a powerful weapon on fully automatic, by a person who knows enough about firearms to have served in the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan? See video of the incident below via the New York Times; the clip doesn't show the actual moment of tragedy, but it's plenty chilling nonetheless.

Reactions to the news, as you might expect, have ranged from somber to mystified to angry. But with the story making the rounds on social media, only those latter two applied to a tweet posted on Wednesday afternoon by NRA Women, which is part of the National Rifle Association's Women's Programs and is sponsored by gun manufacturing giant Smith & Wesson. "7 Ways Children Can Have Fun at the Shooting Range" the tweet announced, linking to a recent story that details how kids can get bored with target practice if not properly entertained. NRA Women posted the tweet at 1:51 p.m. Pacific on Wednesday; by about 3 p.m. it had been yanked, but not before I'd taken a screen shot:

nwp.org

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I grew up with guns.  My father was an national shooting champion.  Yes, guns can be fun for children, with proper training and supervision.  We loved target practicing, shooting bottles and cans, etc....   Honestly, it isn't any more dangerous than allowing kids to ride dirt bikes, ATVs, or go rock climbing or heck, even competitive cheerleading.

THe incident in AZ is strictly on the instructor.  It is my understanding that if a child is holding a high powered weapon, the instructor is to hold the gun with teh child due to the recoil.   That is gun shooting 101.  It is a tragedy beause not only was a life lost, but that little girl will be traumatized forever. Her innocence is gone.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM

oh, for fuck's sake, let's see those stats on the yearly number of deaths among competetive cheerleaders. or their bystanders.

Quoting KenneMaw:

I grew up with guns.  My father was an national shooting champion.  Yes, guns can be fun for children, with proper training and supervision.  We loved target practicing, shooting bottles and cans, etc....   Honestly, it isn't any more dangerous than allowing kids to ride dirt bikes, ATVs, or go rock climbing or heck, even competitive cheerleading.

THe incident in AZ is strictly on the instructor.  It is my understanding that if a child is holding a high powered weapon, the instructor is to hold the gun with teh child due to the recoil.   That is gun shooting 101.  It is a tragedy beause not only was a life lost, but that little girl will be traumatized forever. Her innocence is gone.

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Kids and guns? Does anyone know what a gun symbolizes?

Probably not here at CM.

elkmomma
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Not sure those are great comparisons, but I agree with you even though most will call you stupid & blah blah blah bashing.  

Quoting KenneMaw:

D-Town
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:11 AM

I agree. This is all on the instructor. I didn't watch the whole video just where she did a few short bursts. I could actually see what was going to happen without actually watching it. All because the instructor did not take basic safety precautions. 

Quoting KenneMaw:

If cold beer and pizza can't fix your problem, ask yourself if it's a problem that really needs fixed.

- Bill Murray
amichelle28
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:41 AM
I have no problem with guns. I live in Arkansas kids start hunting at five my ex fil would take my daughter when she was younger and I trusted him completely and had no problem with her shooting. I can not understand though the purpose of teaching a child how to use an automatic weapon. That's the part that doesn't make sense plus if you know it walks to the left why would he stand on her left side? It's all pretty irresponsible.
justone_jen
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM
I'm not opposed to guns. I'm not opposed to a child using a .22 for target practice. What in the actual fuck is an automatic weapon doing in the hands of an individual too small to handle it? An instructor is dead, and a little girl has to live with his blood on her hands for the rest of her life.

It's in really poor fucking taste to post something like that.
Starlit_Eyes
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Couldn't agree more! 

Quoting KenneMaw:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)