Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Child Reportedly Expelled From Preschool Over His Mother's Facebook Posts

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

Child Reportedly Expelled From Preschool Over His Mother's Facebook Posts

One Florida mother's Facebook status didn't go over so well with her son's preschool.

Mother Ashley Habat recently complained on Facebook after the Sonshine Christian Academy didn't give enough notice about picture day. Even though Habat said her Facebook post was private, she still tagged the school, and the next day she was reportedly told by school administrators that the school would not be a good fit for her son, according to Jacksonville, Florida outlet WJXT-TV.

In the post in question, Habat asked: “Why is it that every single day there is something new I dislike about Will's School? Are my standards really too high or are people working in the education field really just that ignorant.”

A letter of dismissal given to Habat from the school said her “relationship with Sonshine did not get off to a very good start the first day of school," stating that she "utilized social media to call into question not only the integrity but the intelligence of our staff. ... These actions are also consistent with sowing discord, which is spoken of in the handbook you signed."

The school did not respond to requests for comment from The Huffington Post.

The incident has drawn responses on both ends of the specturm. On Mommyish, Maria Guido asserted that Habat should not have tagged the school in her post.“Sorry you have to find a new preschool, but this is really your own fault,” she wrote.

On TheStir, Lisa Fogarty said she hopes the school forgives and forgets.

I feel awful for her little boy -- it's terrible to rip him away from his friends and teacher because of a dumb thing his mother wrote on Facebook,” Fogarty wrote, adding, “And I wish the school, particularly because I assume it believes in Christian values -- one of which is forgiveness -- would have at least given Habat a warning before taking such an extreme measure.”

On its website, Sonshine Christian Academy describes itself as “a thriving, Christ-Centered Academy providing academic excellence through the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, equipping each student to make an impact in our community and the world."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/ashley-habat-facebook_n_5726032.html

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM
3 moms liked this

People in Florida SMH 

shrugging

PamR
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Sounds like the school overreacted.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

Huffington Post---

Not nearly a supporter of Christian Schools or values, but real quick to point out everything that they think a Christian School is doing wrong.

I feel bad for the child, and sorry for the mother who is now put in a spot.  But this could all have been avoided if she had just not named the school on facebook, don't you think?

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Well, yes, she sounds like a know it all and said some rude things about the school but why punish the little kid and take him away from his friends? That's unfair.

GranoliGirl
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

This woman is a dumbass.  She hates her kid's school, and bitched about it publicly, and the school told her to take a hike and now she's pissed because of it?   It's like getting fired from a job you hate.  Just think, if she had her kid in a public school, they wouldn't and couldn't have kicked her dumb ass to the curb.  Alli can say is I feel for the kid.

FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that in the handbook of my daughter's school, it clearly states we will not disparage the school on any social media outlet.  Any issues we have with the school will be taken up with the school.

Mom was a fool.  Now her son will suffer due to her actions.

DisabledVet
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM

They certainly showed good Christian beliefs in punishing a child for what the mother wrote. Shame on them. Isn't pride a sin?

Some gave all and all gave some. Remember your rights as an American were earned with the blood of others. Don't waste them and please do your duty as a citizen and vote intelligently in every election.

Abaco
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this
It's sad at times the child must suffer the consequences of stupid mistakes the parent makes. It's evident in the last two elections. smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM
And tagged it. Seriously if you have so many issues why are you upset. They are not really expelling your child they are refusing mom as a customer for valid reasons. Too bad for her son that his mom is a rough go. He'll make friends at a new school and hopefully mom will figure out more effective ways to advocate.

Quoting jobseeker:

eye rolling

Huffington Post---

Not nearly a supporter of Christian Schools or values, but real quick to point out everything that they think a Christian School is doing wrong.

I feel bad for the child, and sorry for the mother who is now put in a spot.  But this could all have been avoided if she had just not named the school on facebook, don't you think?

erika9009
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM

What complain to the people who can do something about it???

No way. That so does not fit the victim mentality now a days.  You are so old fashion.  Next think you know you'll be saying personal responsibility is good.

confused

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I know that in the handbook of my daughter's school, it clearly states we will not disparage the school on any social media outlet.  Any issues we have with the school will be taken up with the school.

Mom was a fool.  Now her son will suffer due to her actions.

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN