Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hamptons residents shocked by KKK recruitment fliers

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:15 AM
  • 23 Replies

HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y. -- Some homeowners in the Hamptons are puzzled and angry after finding recruitment pamphlets for the Ku Klux Klan at their homes,CBS New York station WCBS-TV reports.

Fernando Alvarez said he found the fliers under his Hampton Bays door. His family was left wondering if they were targets of the hate group or if the leafleting was random.

"We were really shocked that ... in this area we can have KKK," Alvarez said.

Hampton Bays, the town of Southampton's most populous hamlet, has 13,000 residents - 30 percent of whom are Hispanic.

Brandon Scibek, a Hampton Bays homeowner, said he, too, received the pamphlet.

"It's unfortunate," he said. "But it's not something you can really prevent. It's covered under freedom of speech."

Others on Columbine Avenue who found the fliers stuffed into their mailboxes were at a loss to explain why bigotry over race and ethnicity would rear its ugly head there.

"It is offensive," one man said. "There's no doubt about it."

"I'm just saddened," one woman said. "It's just sad."

Local community center St. Rosalie's said those responsible for the fliers are a small group of people living in the past.

"These people came in the middle of the night," Sister Mary Beth Moore said. "We know somebody heard their dogs barking at midnight. These are people who are not honorable enough to share their point of view in the daylight, and we hope they go back to North Carolina, where their horrible little pamphlets came from."

The Loyal White Knights, a KKK branch based in the South, referred WCBS-TV to its grand dragon, Robert Jones. He said he is unaware of the efforts in the Hamptons but added: "Everybody's fed up with immigration ... that is why we have so many people from New York calling right now."

Police said the action is not criminal thus far.

"No charges at this time," said Southampton Town Police Sgt. Susan Ralph. "Right now, it's relating to freedom of speech. We have referred the incident to Suffolk County Police Department's bias crimes unit."

Southampton Town Supervisor Anna Throne-Holst said the KKK is looking for attention and that residents should be careful not to overrespond, adding they should rip up and throw away the literature.

Community advocates vowed to rally against the KKK if more recruitment pamphlets appear.

by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slb235
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM

There is cud more interesting than this.

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting slb235:

Jesus has left the building...

slb235
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:59 AM

fnonwioernoiniogw

slb235
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Tatennant
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:02 AM

The hamptons? I guess the KKK still hasn't died. 

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Very sad and pathetic....

They are backwards and full of hate.The world is diverse and we are all human.

The KKK just cant get over the fact that segregation and slavery are over.Their sadistic need to be superior and controlling is twisted and sick.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Having lived in Southampton for a number of years I do find this surprising. However, if someone were going to do this there then this western-most hamlet would be the easiest to access. Hampton Bays is before the land bridge, so for those who live in the more eastern hamlets, it barely counts as the Hamptons. It's the easiest to access and those who live further east tend to be much more snobbish about those living west of the land bridge. The land bridge separates Hampton Bays from Southampton proper FYI. 

Also I found long island in general to be pretty racist...and I'm from the South. I had an adjustment with people being so open and up front with strangers about their racism there.  

nwp.org

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I never witnessed white supremists in the east end....but they were active mid-island. 

Quoting Tatennant:

The hamptons? I guess the KKK still hasn't died. 

nwp.org

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting slb235:

There is WHAT more interesting? LOL.

I find it VERY interesting in that the KKK is still active whch proves again that there are  more metally defective , undereducated, morally bankrupt individuals out there who still hate for no damn reason.

If you don't care, you're part of the probem.

Lolitalux
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, we get it you don't like Mcdun but this IS very interesting. There is a rise in support of the KKK since we got a black president and that's very interesting. 

Quoting slb235:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)