Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ben Carson: Obama Says ‘We Are Not a Judeo-Christian Nation’ – But He Doesn’t Get to Decide, We Do

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this

CNSNews.com) – Neurosurgeon and best-selling author Dr. Ben Carson said that although President Barack Obama has claimed America is “not a Judeo-Christian nation,” he is not the one to decide that point, we the people “get to decide that.”

“We as Americans have certain beliefs and cultures that led us to the pinnacle of the world,” said Dr. Carson while speaking at the 8th Annual Defending the American Dream Summit on Friday in Dallas, Texas.

“One of those things is that we are a people of faith,” he said.  “I know the president has said that we are not a Judeo-Christian nation. But guess what? He doesn’t get to decide that, we get to decide that.”

Following that remark, attendees of the Americans For Prosperity-sponsored event gave Dr. Carson a standing ovation in the Dallas Omni hotel ballroom. Dr. Carson had prefaced his point by discussing how many brave Americans, from the Revolutionary War forward, had sacrificed their lives to ensure that America was a free country.

President Barack Obama has on several occasions stressed his belief that America is not a Judeo-Christian nation.

Back on April 6, 2009, during a press conference with the president of Turkey, President Obama said, "Although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values. I think modern Turkey was founded with a similar set of principles.”

Dr. Ben Carson is the former director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, and a former professor of neurosurgery, plastic surgery, oncology, and pediatrics. His latest book, One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future, was a New York Times best seller, as was his 2012 publication, America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great, and four other books.

The Defending the American Dream Summit is an annual event sponsored by Americans for Prosperity and focuses on the ideals of economic freedom and personal liberty.

by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raintree
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Best part of this- he's quickly abandoning his faith.

Probably deemed too embarrassing. Or too difficult to reconcile with his paid appearances on FN Sabbath mornings.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the feature Cafemom - you rock

nixore
by myk elskling on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM
13 moms liked this

What an idiot.  Obama didn't decide that, the founding fathers did.  We are NOT a Judeo-Christian nation.  We ARE a nation with a majority Judeo-Christian population.  Guess what - there's a difference!

vic270
by Vic on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think that came as a surprise to any one that he is not a Christian. I don't think he is a man of faith at all. He will never admit, there is anything  greater than he is. I do agree that at this time we, the people still have a choice. I find comfort in that.

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
9 moms liked this

Until we have a National religion and become a Christian Theocracy, the US is NOT a Judeo-Christian Nation. We have a majority of Christians but that doesn't make us a Christian Nation.

tattedmommy730
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM
4 moms liked this
Obama is right. This is NOT a Christian nation. Never has been and never will be.
Laura1427
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Surely we all know that this is not a Christian nation.

No one needs to claim anything...it is pretty clearly stated in our Bill of Rights.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

What is not clear about this? How can you act like Obama is making some wild claim by making this statement?

No one cares what the current most popular religion is. Being the majority does not, in any way, change what we as a nation are. 

FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I get to decide?

Woot!

FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

For all the brain power this man seems to have, he has failed miserably to realize our Founding Fathers knew we are not a Christian Nation.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Will the U.S. possibly become  a  muslim nation..and will everyone else will be a minority?  Time will tell.  And if and when it happens..GOD help ya, when they tell ya what you can or can't do in  your own neighborhoods..  Yea..having a cross somewhere and/nor the ten commandments placed in a building will seem like "nothing".. That's where we are headed whether anyone wants to believe it or not..the muslim religion is HIGHER than any other religion in the world.. Good luck with that one ACLU.. Easy to "swipe" at Christians..probably wont be so easy for the muslim religion..that would be politically "incorrect".

According to Adherents.com the ten largest Religions in the world are:

1. Islam: 1.6 billion approximately
  2. Christianity: between 1.5 and 2.2 billion
  3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
  4. Hinduism: 900 million
  5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
  6. Buddhism: 376 million
  7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
  8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
  9. Sikhism: 23 million
  10. Juche: 19 million
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)