• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Voters concerned by political group sharing their voting records

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM
  • 0 Replies

WICHITA -- Voter privacy concerns are on the rise before the election as a political group called the Kansas State Voter Report is sending out mail on voter history. What they're doing is legal because voter attendance is a public record, but voters say it's an invasion of privacy.

This week when residents on Country View Lane in Wichita opened their mail, they found out if their neighbors voted in the last three major elections. Patricia Hunter got the letter, she says she understands this group is trying to get more Kansans to the polls, but says this is too far.

"I'm just aggravated because it's nobody's business. None. It's none of my business if my neighbors vote or not. I intend to vote," says Hunter.

The Kansas State Voter Report group sends mail and emails across the state with voting charts specific to neighborhoods.

"My husband didn't vote there one time neither did my neighbor down the street," says Hunter.

According to the letter, half of Hunter's neighbors didn't vote in the 2010 November election, but if that information is true, it is legal for the group to provide because polling sites report all registered voters who participate in elections.

Hunter says she's upset because her husband passed away this summer and there's a question mark beside whether of not he'll vote in this election.

"He's not going to be voting in 2014," says Hunter. "Do they even know if some of these people are still alive, if they even live in the state or anything?"

Hunter says she thinks this is the definition of voter intimidation.

"I don't know what their object is other than to think they're going to shame people into it," says Hunter.

Some neighbors complained the information on the letter was false, KAKE-TV reached out to the group for comment, but they did not get back to reporter Ben Jordan by deadline.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)