Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu Shot Blamed For Paralyzing 10-Year-Old Florida Girl Marysue Grivna

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

http://www.medicaldaily.com/flu-shot-blamed-paralyzing-10-year-old-florida-girl-marysue-grivna-309058

A 10-year-old Florida girl’s condition over the past year is likely to give anti-vaxxers new ammo against the flu shot. Three days after getting one in 2013, Marysue Grivna had difficulty waking up and couldn’t speak. Now, she’s paralyzed and her parents are blaming her condition on the flu vaccine.

“The doctors won’t confirm it or deny it,” Carla Grivna, Marysue’s mother, told Fox & Friends. “Her father Steven and I are certain, due to all our research, that this was what caused Marysue’s condition. She was a happy, healthy, running, and playing 9-year-old. Then this happened.”

Marysue got her flu vaccine on Nov. 22, 2013. Three days later, her condition quickly devolved as the effects of a rare brain disease, known as acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), began to take over. It occurs when the immune system attacks the protective covering of nerves, called myelin, in the brain and spinal cord. White matter becomes damaged, and symptoms such as loss of vision and paralysis are common — the disease is often compared to multiple sclerosis.

It’s unclear exactly how the disease develops, which is why doctors have been hesitant to blame the flu vaccine. Grivna told Fox that Marysue underwent multiple tests to try to determine how she got it, but they all came up inconclusive. “It can just appear out of the blue or after maybe a surgical procedure,” Dr. Juan Dumois, director of infectious diseases at All Children’s Hospital in Tampa Bay, Fla., told WTSP News. “It’s otherwise unexplainable.”

According to the National Institutes of Health, the disease “often follows viral or bacterial infections, or less often, vaccination for measles, mumps, or rubella.” About 50 to 70 percent of ADEM cases occur after infectious disease, but with only eight cases per one million people, it’s extremely difficult to determine what caused the sudden, brief attack. And despite the slim chance ADEM results from a flu shot, Dumois said that there’s just as much of a chance from not getting it.

he flu vaccine is an especially difficult vaccine to produce. Every year, new strains of influenza circulate throughout communities, forcing drug companies to tailor vaccine recipes. But it takes about six months to produce a vaccine, so drug companies consult the World Health Organization up to nine months before flu season starts, to learn about the strains most likely to cause sickness. Because this is done so far in advance, not everyone benefits from the vaccine — its effectiveness is considered somewhere between 61 and 77 percent.  

It’s true that there’s a chance of developing some kind of illness from vaccines, but the science overwhelmingly shows that they’re effective — most childhood vaccines produce immunity 90 to 100 percent of the time. In fact, not taking vaccines can be worse, as Amy Parker, the child of an anti-vaxxer wrote for Slate: “I struggle to understand why I know far more people who have experienced complications from preventable diseases than I have ever met with complications from vaccines. I have friends who became deaf from measles. I have a partially sighted friend who contracted rubella in the womb. My ex got pneumonia from chickenpox. A friend’s brother died from meningitis.”  

Unfortunately, whatever the cause is, Marysue will have to continue living with ADEM (although Dumois said there’s a chance her symptoms will reverse). In the meantime, the family has set up a GoFundMe page asking for donations to help make their home more accommodating of Marysue’s needs, and to take the weight off her father, who carries her nearly everywhere.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I just heard this on my local news channel, this is horrible, poor little girl.  There's also a short video if you click on the link.

29again
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

How horrible!  And this is why I do not get those things.  Ever.

Well, no, this is not why.  This just makes me glad I don't.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Quoting 29again:

Same here, I never got a flu shot and never will, especially after hearing about this.

Schauseil
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM
And yet the 1917 flu was devastating. I don't vaxx, but I make that choice for other reasons.

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting 29again:

Same here, I never got a flu shot and never will, especially after hearing about this.

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

The choice to vax or not for others is not mine to make.

The flu shot, no, never.  Nor will I allow my 14 year old to get the shot.

This poor child.

susannah2000
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting 29again:

Oh yes, that is REALLY smart, to disregard the millions upon millions of people who are perfectly fine after getting a flu shot, and fixate on ONE instance that may or may NOT even have been caused by the shot. Good thinking!

1stmuslimah
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM

No matter what as with any drug somebody, somewhere is always going to find their self allergic or has a bad side effect that could be real serious. All of our body's are not the same and it's expected to happen to somebody, unfortunately for her. I hope it is at least temporary. They change it up every year according to what strain of the flue they determine the flue season will be. With a drug it's trial or error. You really don't know if you will be that one who has a bad reaction until you have had it and it's too late.

I got it this year only because of how sick I was last year although that was far from a flue but I have all the sickness I can take for a while although I rarely get a flue. I had not a single reaction. My daughter had one about 2 weeks ago, she never gets sick and within hours she was sick and just this past weekend about 10 days after she started to feel better. Weather that was due to the shot, don't know I think it is but also could have just been she was going to be sick anyways and it just happen to be hours after the shot.

Sorry for this girl but when we put this garbage in our body, like I said it's trial and error and it's not until it is too late before knowing we are the unlucky one who will be allergic or have a bad reaction.

Islamic Discussion
http://www.cafemom.com/group/120140

Increasingly, we who speak out against extremism are under attack from extremists themselves.....  non-Muslim. But, inshaAllah, we will remain patient and steadfast

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting 29again:

Oh yes, that is REALLY smart, to disregard the millions upon millions of people who are perfectly fine after getting a flu shot, and fixate on ONE instance that may or may NOT even have been caused by the shot. Good thinking!

This story doesn't change my mind because I wasn't planning on getting a flu sheet to begin with, so no, it didn't influence me as far as that goes.  However, I think before anyone gets a flu shot to do some serious research on it first because it does come with side affects and you want to be careful what's going in your body.  I don't to needles so I will not be getting the flu shot anytime soon. My daughter is grown I doubt she'll get the flu shot, she hates needles too. I'm not worried or scared, I just had the flu not so long ago and I'm fine.  If you want to get a flu shot that's your right and choice.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

No matter what as with any drug somebody, somewhere is always going to find their self allergic or has a bad side effect that could be real serious. All of our body's are not the same and it's expected to happen to somebody, unfortunately for her. I hope it is at least temporary. They change it up every year according to what strain of the flue they determine the flue season will be. With a drug it's trial or error. You really don't know if you will be that one who has a bad reaction until you have had it and it's too late.

I got it this year only because of how sick I was last year although that was far from a flue but I have all the sickness I can take for a while although I rarely get a flue. I had not a single reaction. My daughter had one about 2 weeks ago, she never gets sick and within hours she was sick and just this past weekend about 10 days after she started to feel better. Weather that was due to the shot, don't know I think it is but also could have just been she was going to be sick anyways and it just happen to be hours after the shot.

Sorry for this girl but when we put this garbage in our body, like I said it's trial and error and it's not until it is too late before knowing we are the unlucky one who will be allergic or have a bad reaction.

I'm glad your daughter is felling better, the flu sux, it is definitely not fun. 

I completely agree with the red part of your comment and I'd think every person would care about what they put in their bodies.

1stmuslimah
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I'm glad your daughter is felling better, the flu sux, it is definitely not fun. 

I completely agree with the red part of your comment and I'd think every person would care about what they put in their bodies.

She is fine now but for someone who never gets get sick 10 days is a long time, they say some times a couple days but her body didn't take well to it. That is her last time lol. I got one and I didn't get sick. That's like years ago I was given Flagil, never have I ever been allergic to anything in my life and it never crossed my mind when suddenly I felt like I can't even describe. If I had a gun I would have shot myself. Called the doctor and he told me don't take it anymore, it's an allergic reaction. I had taken the same drug for a 10 course about 5 years prior and it was fine but my body had changed in that time period.

Islamic Discussion
http://www.cafemom.com/group/120140

Increasingly, we who speak out against extremism are under attack from extremists themselves.....  non-Muslim. But, inshaAllah, we will remain patient and steadfast

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)