Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lena Dunham 'sorry' for sex abuse stories

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM
  • 37 Replies
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/11/04/lena-dunham-sorry-sex-abuse-sexual-predators-apology/18471017/

Lena Dunham has gone from raging mad to apologetic.

The Girls star has now issued a formal apology for passages in her memoir that have been viewed as "sexual abuse" of her sister, Grace.
Among the memories being questioned are when Dunham writes of bribing her sister with "three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds … anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying."

USA TODAY
Lena Dunham angry about sex abuse accusations

She also writes of looking at her sister's vagina when they were young girls playing in a driveway.
In an exclusive statement to Time magazine, Dunham says she is "dismayed" over the "interpretation" of some of the event she describes in Not That Kind of Girl. She goes on to say:
"First and foremost, I want to be very clear that I do not condone any kind of abuse under any circumstances.
"Childhood sexual abuse is a life-shattering event for so many, and I have been vocal about the rights of survivors. If the situations described in my book have been painful or triggering for people to read, I am sorry, as that was never my intention. I am also aware that the comic use of the term 'sexual predator' was insensitive, and I'm sorry for that as well.
"As for my sibling, Grace, she is my best friend, and anything I have written about her has been published with her approval."

Here's what is bad about this story. She threaten a website with a lawsuit, that all they did was published quotes from her book her memoirs (why is a 28-year-old publishing a memoir)

If you read the quotes, I feel it's sex abuse.

Here is that website

http://www.truthrevolt.org/commentary/lena-dunham-threatens-sue-truth-revolt-quoting-her

This us what gets me about the media. Just because Lena is very far "Left" no one really cares.

But if this was a book by Bristol Palin; trust me, this story would be the main story ... even on election day
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not read the book so I can't really comment on the full context.

People are sensitive on many issues.  There are 'triggers' for many in a variety of ways and circumstances.

One cannot, nor should be expected to, know the sensitivities and triggers of all others.

She wrote and people have the option to read it or not.

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I wanted to add, I know next to nothing about this person.  

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Me neither; but, she is very involved in politics.

You may remember this

First Time - Lena Dunham For Obama on Voting Firs…: http://youtu.be/d3jzyKF6M7g

Quoting FromAtoZ:

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Donna6503: Me neither; but, she is very involved in politics. You may remember this First Time - Lena Dunham For Obama on Voting Firs…: http://youtu.be/d3jzyKF6M7g
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Yes, I do remember that.  

That and she is on some show on HBO, I think.

Obviously I have not paid much attention.  I really know nothing about her.  lol

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I was like, who is that, when I was reading USA today. So I had the same reaction as you.

=)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Donna6503: Me neither; but, she is very involved in politics.

You may remember this

First Time - Lena Dunham For Obama on Voting Firs…: http://youtu.be/d3jzyKF6M7g

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Yes, I do remember that.  

That and she is on some show on HBO, I think.

Obviously I have not paid much attention.  I really know nothing about her.  lol

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think anyone buying her book would know her first through her showon HBO. I have watched the show and most times I do enjoy it. other times I find it a bit over the top-but- that's HBO, pushing the envelope.

The show IMHO is known for pushing the envelope- sexually first and foremost. 

So, with that being said, anyone would simply then need to read a reviw or simply read the dust jacket to determine any possible triggering.

As for me, even though I do overall enjoy her show, I would never buy her book. ( I also read the reviews and that sealed the deal). But I also had no interest in 50 shades of gray.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM
I never seen the show.

But what this girl did to her younger sister is abuse, that she had openly admitted to ... from her book.

And no one cares; but why, honestly, if these exact examples came from Bristol Palin on say, "Piper" do you honestly feel this story wouldn't be known to the public at large. It would be all over the media.

Leaving the politics aside, do you think the media would have left this story alone if it was someone on the right?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I would think anyone buying her book would know her first through her showon HBO. I have watched the show and most times I do enjoy it. other times I find it a bit over the top-but- that's HBO, pushing the envelope.

So, with that being said, anyone would simply then need to read a reviw or simply read the dust jacket to determine any possible triggering.

As for me, even though I do overall enjoy her show, I would never buy her book. ( I also read the reviews and that sealed the deal). But I also had no interest in 50 shades of gray.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly do not know. Chances are, there would be some sort of excuse or justification if this were the beloved Palin child.

Quoting Donna6503: I never seen the show. But what this girl did to her younger sister is abuse, that she had openly admitted to ... from her book. And no one cares; but why, honestly, if these exact examples came from Bristol Palin on say, "Piper" do you honestly feel this story wouldn't be known to the public at large. It would be all over the media. Leaving the politics aside, do you think the media would have left this story alone if it was someone on the right?
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Miller0305
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM
She is so nasty. Typical liberal hypocrite.
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM
True

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I honestly do not know. Chances are, there would be some sort of excuse or justification if this were the beloved Palin child.

Quoting Donna6503: I never seen the show.

But what this girl did to her younger sister is abuse, that she had openly admitted to ... from her book.

And no one cares; but why, honestly, if these exact examples came from Bristol Palin on say, "Piper" do you honestly feel this story wouldn't be known to the public at large. It would be all over the media.

Leaving the politics aside, do you think the media would have left this story alone if it was someone on the right?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)