4. Mesquite, Texas
> Index score: 0 out of 100
> Median household income: $47,298
> Points for non-discrimination laws: 0 out of 18
> Anti-bullying policy score: 0 out of 6
> Has human rights commission: No

Mesquite is one of the three cities in Texas, and one of just four nationwide, that received absolutely zero points from HRC’s Municipal Equality Index. However, not all of Texas scored poorly on the index. In fact, Dallas received a 91 out of 100, higher than most cities reviewed by HRC, while Austin received a perfect score. In June, Texas governor Rick Perry was widely criticized in the media for making comments equating homosexuality to alcoholism. The San Francisco Chronicle quoted Perry as saying: “I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way.”

3. Lubbock, Texas
> Index score: 0 out of 100
> Median household income: $43,413
> Points for non-discrimination laws: 0 out of 18

In 2005, residents of Lubbock “voted heavily in favor of Proposition 2, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman,” according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. However, the future of Texas’ ban on gay marriage is currently up in the air. In February, a federal judge ruled that the state’s ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional. Currently, the state is appealing the ruling. Greg Abbott, Texas Attorney General and Governor-Elect, has represented the state’s position in the case.

2. Irving, Texas
> Median household income: $50,810
> Points for non-discrimination laws: 0 out of 18
> Anti-bullying policy score: 0 out of 6
> Has human rights commission: No

Irving received zero points out of 100 on the Municipal Equality Index, tying for the lowest score nationwide. Irving was one of just four cities — three of them in Texas — without a single point. There may be less drive among the local LGBT community to improve the city’s policies, however, because both Dallas and Fort Worth are within commuting distance. Both these cities received very high scores on the index — 91 and 83 respectively — and were among the top quartile of all cities reviewed by HRC.

1. Southaven, Mississippi
> Median household income: $56,172
> Points for non-discrimination laws: 0 out of 18

Southaven is one of just four cities scoring zero on the Municipal Equality Index, and the only city in Mississippi to receive the lowest possible rating. While Southaven does not provide any of the policies or programs recommended by HRC, an imminent court decision may place the future of Mississippi’s same-sex marriage ban in doubt. Several legal scholars contacted by The Clarion-Ledger stated that they expected a U.S. District Court judge would block the law and allow same-sex marriages to take place. However, experts also predict the state will seek a stay from the appellate court, delaying the effect of the judge’s decision.