• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VA Wingnut Hangs Nazi Flag To Protest Obama’s Immigration Action

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM
  • 1 Replies

NOVEMBER 23, 2014 4:49 PM

Local news channel 3  is reporting that a resident in the Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk, VA found a most peculiar way of protesting President Obama’s decision to take executive action on the issue of immigration: to hang a Nazi flag outside his home. The man who hung the flag, Dr. William Wheeler, would not speak on camera to the news station reporting the story.

Dr. William Wheeler, a viciously anti-Obama Norfolk resident, decided to shock and offend his neighbors by hanging a Nazi flag because the President took executive action on immigration.

Dr. William Wheeler, a viciously anti-Obama Norfolk resident, decided to shock and offend his neighbors by hanging a Nazi flag because the President took executive action on immigration.

However, an area resident who came to see the situation for herself and to address Dr. Wheeler about the flag, did. However, when Beth Booker tried to talk to Dr. Wheeler about the flag, she says that instead of reasonable discourse, she was instead insulted. Booker says of the incident:

I wanted to have a dialogue with him as to why he hung that hate flag out in the neighborhood. It’s amazing how somebody can have so much hate in them and feel it’s okay to express themselves. Granted, there’s freedom of speech. He can do and say whatever he wants to, but I think you need to have some respect for people in this country. And that flag represents nothing but hate.

Of course Beth Booker is right. While Dr. Wheeler has every right to hang the flag- after all, the First Amendment gives us all that right- it is shocking and offensive to most sensible people. But, on the other hand, anyone who hangs such things likely is not very sensible anyway.

Wheeler went on to tell news reporters off camera that if people were shocked by the flag,  he had achieved his desired goal. Further, if anyone is offended (which, obviously, he knew that they would be), they should know that he is offended by our President and everything he stands for. Beth Booker, who, despite being insulted while engaging Dr. Wheeler, takes a much more reasonable stance:

They don’t seem to get it. Who do they have the flag? Why did they put it out? And she [Wheeler's wife] told me it’s not different than putting out the American flag. And yeah, it is, because the American flag isn’t about suppressing one group of people and the Nazi flag is.

I think they understand perfectly, Ms. Booker. They just don’t care. Or perhaps they do, simply not in the direction that they should. You’re a brave lady for engaging these yahoos.

Dr. Wheeler made sure that the news reporter knew that he was half- Jewish, rather than a Nazi, saying:

I am not a Nazi. I am half-Jewish. I hung the flag after watching President Obama last night. Obama usurped his Oath of Office. I wanted people to be shocked because I am offended.

Now, what on earth the hanging a Nazi flag has to do with President Obama, I have no idea. Wheeler’s logic here is twisted at best. His obvious goal was to shock and offend, which he achieved. There are plenty of other ways to express displeasure with a political move by a sitting President, though, respectful ways. Sorry, Dr. Wheeler- this wasn’t the way to do it.

News Channel 3 says that the Wheelers have since taken the flag down.

WATCH : http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#pbid=55ce3a06495346ddb20768902d1e991c&ec=l0NjZ1cTpBIhk20A8GFzlG8V2LBE195D&docUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.addictinginfo.org%2F2014%2F11%2F23%2Fva-wingnut-hangs-nazi-flag-to-protest-obamas-immigration-action-video%2F

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

All that money being schooled as a doctor.

Common sense and decency can't be bought or taught.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)