• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When SNL Skewers President Obama the End is Near

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Saturday Night Live has been skewering presidents for years. Chevy Chase's bumbling Gerald Ford and Will Ferrell's George W. Bush impersonations are the most memorable. "Strategery," a word used by Ferrell (Bush) in his mock debate with Al Gore, has become a part of the English language. Rush Limbaugh uses it all the time.

But for the most part, President Obama has not been the subject of many SNL skits.

How do you make fun of a god? It's just not done. How times have changed. The Greek columns used for his 2009 inauguration are beginning to crumble.

After President Obama's Executive Action on immigration, SNL went to work with this funny bit. It's based on a famous Schoolhouse Rock video - not to be confused with Jack Black's 2003 film School of Rock - on how a bill becomes a law.

Here's the original Schoolhouse Rock! video "I'm Just a Bill":

Here's SNL's version that may go a long way in educating people on what our system is not about:

The thing of it is, most people working on SNL probably don't mind that the President has become lawless since his lawlessness is lawlessness they can agree with.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PamR
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You (or whoever wrote this) must not watch SNL very often.

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Have watched it off and on since 1976, myself.

Less now than before.

Quoting PamR:

You (or whoever wrote this) must not watch SNL very often.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

This is not the first time that Obama has been "skewered" on SNL.

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

He is rarely skewered. Lightly chided at best.

The bigger story is the freak out over at the Washington Post who felt the need to fact check a SNL skit.

WaPo Fact Check: MSM Again Protects Obama from 'SNL' Skit

SNL Rips Obama With Updated Version of Schoolhouse Rock
SNL Rips Obama With Updated Version of Schoolhouse Rock
Breitbart Non-Syndicated

Another example of just how good Democrats got it in the mainstream media arrived Sunday morning when no less than the Washington Post published a high-profile fact-check of a "Saturday Night Live" skit blasting Obama over his granting of amnesty to millions of illegal aliens through an unprecedented executive action. Needless to say, the Washington Post found the "SNL" skit dishonest:

This skit got a couple of things right, and a couple of things wrong. For starters, Obama didn't sign an executive order. He is taking executive action, in particular by directing the Department of Homeland Security to expand programs that defer deportation for classes of undocumented immigrants — parents of U.S. citizens or permanent-resident children, as well as undocumented immigrants brought to the country as children. …

As to whether the executive action is unconstitutional? That's a matter of debate, of course.

As you can see, in order to attack "SNL" as getting things wrong, the Washington Post highlights a distinction without a difference (signing vs. taking executive action) and a matter of opinion over the legality of the move.

The Washington Post isn't looking to clarify anything, the left-wing outlet is just looking for an excuse to launch into the ether a narrative that claims the skit is dishonest. Simply put, the Washington Post is doing what it can to protect Obama from satire. It's a smart move, too. Once the skit is labeled dishonest, news outlets have an excuse to not talk about or broadcast it.

The left-leaning "SNL" doesn't go hard after Obama very often, but when they do the objective, unbiased, not-at-all liberal media is always right there to push back.

If you recall, CNN fact-checked a "SNL' skit in 2009.

As unprecedented as Obama's amnesty is, even more so is the idea of a media that poses as serious and objective fact-checking political satire -- something I have never seen done to Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, despite their serial dishonesty. In fact, the Washington Post is a big fan of Stewart and Colbert and frequently aggregates the left-wing's duos attacks against conservatives and conservative ideas.

Despites "SNL's" frequent skewering of Republicans, a good faith search shows no record of either the Washington Post or CNN ever fact-checking those skits. The Washington Post and CNN do, though, love to re-broadcast those skits.

The mainstream media is well-aware of the power of satire. This is why, despite their marginal ratings, Stewart and Colbert are treated as gods among a media elite that loves to promote their work.

But God help "SNL" when they dare treat Obama like they do conservatives. Stepping off the liberal plantation has a price -- being branded a liar.  

The Washington Post didn’t fact-check "SNL," they punished "SNL," and also sent out a warning to anyone else thinking about doing the same.

Quoting PamR:

This is not the first time that Obama has been "skewered" on SNL.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I love SNL.  Last week I had just played the real Schoolhouse Rock video to my daughter since she was learning about how laws are made.  We all had a good laugh at this skit.

joyfree
by Kat on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Eh... No matter, it was pretty funny. I do remember when SNL portrayed him as kind of nerdy, but for the most part, the prez is not comedy gold unlike poor W.
Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't see the humor in ignoring American law and shredding the Constitution?

Interesting.

Quoting joyfree: Eh... No matter, it was pretty funny. I do remember when SNL portrayed him as kind of nerdy, but for the most part, the prez is not comedy gold unlike poor W.
joyfree
by Kat on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I said it was pretty funny, BillieBot. Not surprising that you would pick MY comment to skewer.

This type of political action has NEVER been done before by a Republican president, has it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)