Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jennifer Gable, Transgender Woman, Presented By Her Family As Man At Her Funeral

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

Jennifer Gable, Transgender Woman, Presented As Man At Her Funeral

Jennifer Gable, 32, reportedly died suddenly of a brain aneurysm while working at Wells Fargo Bank on Oct. 9. At her funeral, Gable, who legally changed her name in 2007, was reportedly not referred to as Jennifer once.

Additionally, the late Gable's family cut her hair short and presented her wearing a suit and her obituary reportedly skipped the decade of her life she spent transitioningto live authentically as Jennifer.

“I am disgusted,” Stacy Dee Hudson reportedly posted on Facebook. “A great and dear friend’s mom went to the funeral today. It was not closed casket. They cut her hair, suit on. How can they bury her as Geoff when she legally changed her name. So very sad. Jen you will be missed and people who know you know that you are at peace.”

Do you or somebody you love identify as transgender? Don't let this happen to you --register your final wishes with an attorney.

Not Without Panties

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
PamR
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Sad that her family couldn't love her enough to recognize her wishes and respect the choice she made. 

joyfree
by Kat on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

SIGH.

Oh, Idaho...

bummed_out

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Damn.

That's bad.

circle_of_life
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM

So sad! What a hateful thing for her family to do!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Especially with sudden deaths, families sometimes do things that don't make sense in regards to the person who passed.

Remember, they always say funerals are for the living, not the dead.

When my sister passed suddenly, my parents gave her a Catholic funeral. My sister was not Catholic, and it bothered me immensely. I thought it was disrespectful of her choices.  I also was angry at my mom for telling her she didn't have to get angiograms anymore, because they were painful. And it turns out she died of an arterial aneurysm, which may have been detected on an angiogram. I told my mom the ugliest thing - in the midst of my grief - that my sister died because of her.

Horrible thing to say.

Several years later, when I had dealt with my own grief, I realized that having a Catholic funeral for their non-denominational Christian daughter was comforting to my parents. I would not have done it that way, but that's really the only thing my parents knew to do.

I'm not justifying what these parents did for their child's funeral. The article does't say whether they ever discussed the transgender issue. If they hadn't worked it through, I can't completely blame the parents for doing what they did in the short time period. People usually have only a week to plan and have a funeral - it's not nearly enough time. And you always make mistakes. And it sounds like they had the open casket funeral for religious decision. It's a tough situation. It might have been easier to keep the funeral very small, and to keep the casket closed. But they kept it open, and they were brutally criticized.

I just ask the people here who hate the parents for the kind of funeral they gave their daughter to give them a little compassion. My dad said when my sister passed, "I shouldn't be burying my child; my child should bury me."  They are grieving an intense kind of grief reserved for parents. When grief is fresh, we really are out of our minds. People sometimes do stupid things when they are grieving that they just don't think out well. 

AdrianneHill
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM
How sad
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I guess it is a flip side of "The funeral is for the living, not the dead"

I've rarely seen such a disparity between how the deceased wanted to be remembered, and how the family wanted to remember them, but it happens.

I wonder if she could have written in her will that she wanted her body and its funeral arrangements to have been done by her friends, rather than her family?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)