• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

POLICE TASERED UNARMED, SEVERELY AUTISTIC MAN ON CHRISTMAS!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM
  • 106 Replies
4 moms liked this

As the Mom of a severely autistic boy with FXS I am very disturbed by this. 

Greenville City, South Carolina Police Department claims Tairo Anderson refused to listen when officers asked him to stop three times following reports of gunshots in the area in the late hours of Christmas Eve.

Anderson, at the time he was stopped, was guilty of nothing more severe than “walking while black,” but police considered him such a threat that a taser was a necessity.

“When they put their spotlight on him, he immediately put his head down, put his hands in his pockets and began to walk away from him,” Greenville Police Officer Johnathan Bragg  said. “They then got out of the vehicle and approached him and ordered him to stop at which point he did flee from the officers and they pursued him.”

Police stopped the fleeing 6’8” Anderson with 50,000 volts of justice. However, Carolyn Anderson, the mother of the tasering victim, says her son was severely autistic and likely did not understand the officers’ commands. The elder Anderson says that both her son’s arrest, and the tasering, were entirely unnecessary.

“Tario can say yes or no, he might ask for a thing or two, but just verbal, no,” Ms. Anderson said. She explained that her son regularly walks to relatives’ homes on the same street. When neighbors notified her her son was the recipient of a taser attack, she says she was not permitted near Tairo.

“If you had seen my baby was out there, laying on that sidewalk and every time he reached for me, I reached for him- [they’d say] “Get back, we gonna Tase you”,” Anderson’s mother said. “I was trying to make them take me to jail. I curse everything, ‘Take me! I’m the one causing trouble! Take me. He’s not doing nothing.’ No matter what I said, it didn’t make no difference to them.”

Tairo Anderson was arrested after paramedics treated him on scene. He was charged with interfering with police work and resisting arrest.

“Interfering? Resisting? It’s against the law to take off running? I still don’t understand. I really don’t,” Anderson’s mother said. “I say if you hear gunshots, are you going to stand there and wait to see if the bullet hit you or are you getting out the way?”

Bragg says that officers were unaware of any handicap, and that the man was arrested for breaking the law by running.

“From what he did, he did break the law so in any case like that, we do go ahead and arrest them and make the charges and we’re not deemed certified to declare anyone as mentally ill or with a disease or anything like that so we don’t technically know if he is,” Bragg said.

A statement released by Gragg read, in part:

Officers used a Taser to secure Anderson.  We are conducting an investigation into the claim of excessive force by Anderson’s mother, and it would not be appropriate to address all of her claims at this time.  I also think that we should reinforce the need for members of the public to be cooperative with police when stopped and ask to see or speak with a supervisor if they feel mistreated in any way.  It is our goal to effectively police our city with the full cooperation of the public we serve and we regret all incidents where force must be used to faithfully perform our duties.

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/videos/south-carolina-police-tasered-unarmed-severely-autistic-black-man-on-christmas-eve-video/

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcdun
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:42 AM
3 moms liked this

This sort of thing scares me to the bone. It doesn't matter what color a developmentally disabled person is or what gender police never seem to understand many of them don't respond to verbal commands. My son has the developmental age of an 11 month old and that will very likely not change. The only things he says consistently are "Mama" and "No" . He knows about 12 signs but that's it. We make tee-shirts with big red medical alert signs that say "Autism" and have out phone number but you never know when he will take those off. I'm so scared that when he goes to be older something like this will happen to him. I just hope I still live in the area I live in now because the cops here are pretty cool and I have my sons's photo, finger prints, name and condition on file at the police department. 

That's another thing, though it might not matter in some of these cases, always go to the police station with your developmentally disabled child, they have a form you can fill out if your child/adult ward is at risk for wondering away. You can give them his/her info, more people need to do this, it can be a life saver. 

Erin270601
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Police are like that to everyone, no matter what race they are... just do a youtube search, there are hundreds of videos of injust police brutality... he was running? really thats a crime, now!??!

This is so sad... Hoping his family gets a good legal representation, cause they need to go after this crap... 

Hope he's doing okay.. 

mcdun
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh I agree. The police will bully anyone, especially when it comes to the developmentally disabled. It's like highschool they see the little "retarded"boy so they have to harass and taze him. It makes me sick just thinking about it. 

Quoting Erin270601:

Police are like that to everyone, no matter what race they are... just do a youtube search, there are hundreds of videos of injust police brutality... he was running? really thats a crime, now!??!

This is so sad... Hoping his family gets a good legal representation, cause they need to go after this crap... 

Hope he's doing okay.. 

Erin270601
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Its really sad, but if people know their rights, know we still have the constitution... They need to sue the hell out of that police department... the police are bullies... I'm sad to say that, but i have seen so many times where police have wrongly hurt or killed someone, or someone's dog :( It makes me really sad, cause I used to really respect police and I will still show them the same respect but theres caution there now. 

Quoting mcdun:

Oh I agree. The police will bully anyone, especially when it comes to the developmentally disabled. It's like highschool they see the little "retarded"boy so they have to harass and taze him. It makes me sick just thinking about it. 

Quoting Erin270601:

Hope he's doing okay.. 

cats911
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Good idea, MOM, having those shirts made.  That is good.  My grandson is autistic also, and you need to think outside the box to watch for these fantastic kids.  I love my grandson to pieces.  Also, make sure you are friends with the policemen and firemen that work your area of living.  Those that respond to your area.

Quoting mcdun:

This sort of thing scares me to the bone. It doesn't matter what color a developmentally disabled person is or what gender police never seem to understand many of them don't respond to verbal commands. My son has the developmental age of an 11 month old and that will very likely not change. The only things he says consistently are "Mama" and "No" . He knows about 12 signs but that's it. We make tee-shirts with big red medical alert signs that say "Autism" and have out phone number but you never know when he will take those off. I'm so scared that when he goes to be older something like this will happen to him. I just hope I still live in the area I live in now because the cops here are pretty cool and I have my sons's photo, finger prints, name and condition on file at the police department. 

That's another thing, though it might not matter in some of these cases, always go to the police station with your developmentally disabled child, they have a form you can fill out if your child/adult ward is at risk for wondering away. You can give them his/her info, more people need to do this, it can be a life saver.  

Kaya529
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:39 AM
This is one of the many reasons I will never call the cops. The cops are kind of known for killing anyone that is not "normal" and in my area they are more corrupt then some other areas. I worry about my child since bipolar disorder runs in my family.
trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this
This is my worst nightmare. My son has mod severe autism, and is thankfully verbal but non conversational. This is why he's NEVER alone or farther then a few feet from an adult. So scary
Friday
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd is Autistic, high functioning, and I am so thankful that she isn't a wanderer. Stories like this scare the crap out of me so we still have a lock on the front door that she can't reach and an alarm on the door to the garage and a locked gate around the pool.
D-Town
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:45 AM
4 moms liked this

What happened to "why didn't they use a taser?" 

Man I hate being right all the time. 

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:05 AM
8 moms liked this

This is sad, but what part of cooperating with the police do people not get? If you don't cooperate and attempt to take off the police will do their jobs to stop that person no matter who you are. Lately it seems that Murphy's Law plays a huge part of a police officer's daily life lately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)