• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Fatally Shot After Pulling Fake Gun on Calif. Cops Left Behind Note for Them: ‘Dear Officer(s)’

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

Man Fatally Shot After Pulling Fake Gun on Calif. Cops Left Behind Note for Them: ‘Dear Officer(s)’

A man fatally shot by San Francisco police after entering a restricted parking lot and reaching for a replica gun inside his waistband left behind a suicide note, authorities said.

In the note, the man identified as Matthew Hoffman, 32, told officers he was using them to commit suicide.

“Dear Officer(s),” he wrote in a note found on his phone and provided to BuzzFeed. “You did nothing wrong.”

“You ended the life of a man who was too much of a coward to do it himself. I provoked you. I threatened your life as well as the lives of those around me,” he continued. “You were completely within your legal rights to do what you did. You followed protocols. You did everything right.”

“You were completely within your legal rights to do what you did. You followed protocols.”
Share:

The 32-year-old added in the note that he was using the police to “find peace” within himself.

“I am so sad and I am so lonely. There is no place for me here. Please, don’t blame yourself. I used you,” he wrote. “I took advantage of you. I am so lost and I am so hopeless. God made a mistake with me. I shouldn’t be here. Please, take solace in knowing that the situation was out of your control. You had no other choice.”

(H/T: BuzzFeed)

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CABZS
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Very sad for that man, I wish access to help was much easier!

I also hope those Officers will be ok this is never an easy thing and most hope to never have to shoot anyone.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM

How absolutely tragic.

it's one thing to walk in front of a train (that happens too often where I live considering trains cross criss my town). however to choose another person to put your blood on his hands- I pray for peace for those police officers.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:22 AM

How horrible, How tragic. Those poor police officers my heart goes out to them, I can't even imagine.   I really wish the mental health opportunities in this country were of better quality and abundance. That is not a dig at mental health professionals. I really wish folks who want to commit suicide seriously need to stop including innocent bystanders that is not fair and I get that the mentally ill are not thinking clearly but that aspect really gets my goat.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Tragic : ( 

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:11 AM

How sad...just sad, sad. I feel terrible for Hoffman, heartbreaking he felt so, so, poorly about himself. 

I hope the police involved find a way to live peacefully with what happened.

DomsMama07
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:14 AM
Horrible.
blinx
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:15 AM
This is really Frickin depressing.
AdrianneHill
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:04 AM
I feel terrible for everyone involved
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)