Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Whole World Is Laughing At The Religious Right’s ‘Sounds Of Sodomy’ Anti-Gay Campaign

Pema_Jampa
BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Yesterday at 4:05 PM
AC/DC - Shot Down In Flames (Official Video)

Music video by AC/DC performing Shot Down In Flames. (C) 1980 J. Albert & Son (Pty.) Ltd.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

JANUARY 6, 2015 2:04 PM

“Should children be exposed to sounds of sodomy?”

“Should children be exposed to this beastly obsession with unholy acts?”

“Should the sounds of sodomy echo in the halls of a Christian home?”

This is not a parody, these are the actual questions posed by the latest anti-gay campaign by Ireland’s religious right, in opposition to marriage equality. But instead of getting angry, the whole twittersphere is poking fun at the ‘Sounds of Sodomy’ campaign. It accuses:

“At this very moment the liberal agenda conspires to undermine God’s Word and is drafting law to allow homosexuals to adopt children,” the leaflet warns, urging voters to contact their representatives.

It’s currently unknown which Christian group produced the anti-gay propaganda, and it’s unlikely anyone is going to want to claim ownership for the ludicrous campaign against hearing gay things now.

Twitter users were signposted to the absurdity by this tweet, then all holy hell broke loose.

003 Scott Brown

Twitter users across Ireland and the world chimed in with their own versions of the ‘Sounds of Sodomy’ leaflet, and before long, the hashtag #SoundsOfSodomy was trending.

Here are some of the best offerings:

Anyone for a little ABBA?

1413484953340_Image_galleryImage_PARIS_FRANCE_OCTOBER_16_TNo? Perhaps some Simon and Garfunkel then…

004 rushA little play on the Now That’s What I Call Music franchise…

005 gretchenThe bells! The bells! (that’s my annual Quasimodo gag out of the way)

Bit of Julie Andrews…

1413485089380_wps_8_PARIS_FRANCE_OCTOBER_16_T

But of course, there was the odd…genuine (cough) supportive suggestion.

1413485220507_wps_15_Paul_McCarthyThe leaflet may even end up a collector’s item, it being so emblematic of the religious right’s anti-gay hysteria.

The hashtag is still going strong with people declaring their support for equal marriage, their ire at the religious right’s ham-fisted scare tactics, and general great humor.  A reminder that however much we might condemn the darker corners of the internet, there are moments where twitter and its many users come into their own.  This is most definitely one of those moments.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mrs.KAZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM
Because kids have never accidentally heard hetero parents either. This is ridiculous.
PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Good grief.

Sekirei
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM

*snort*

FUCK FREEDOM!

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks now I can't get Simon and Garfunkel out of my head and they are now singing the Sounds of sodomy - great lol

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2015 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

How does a gay man fucking another gay man up the ass sound different from a heterosexual man fucking a heterosexual woman up the ass?

Do they fart rainbows, or something?  Simultaneously redecorate their room in earth-tone pastels?  Knit used condom disposal bins in the shape of chihuahua shih tzu mix puppies?

csxt99
by on Jan. 8, 2015 at 4:35 AM

That's the first one to hit me, too, but it is followed closely by the ABBA one. I wonder if whoever is responsible for this campaign is thrilled at how humorous it has become. I would guess not, but it has been good for some laughs.

Quoting mikiemom:

Thanks now I can't get Simon and Garfunkel out of my head and they are now singing the Sounds of sodomy - great lol

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Jan. 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM
Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)