Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Group Tries To Stop Show About Not-Gay Mormons

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

TLC's 'My Husband's Not Gay' outrage

January 6, 2015: 5:24 PM ET

TLC husband not gay
As of Tuesday afternoon a petition calling for the cancellation of the special had gotten over 82,000 signatures.

TLC's upcoming one-hour special "My Husband's Not Gay" has caused an uproar before it has even aired.

The special -- which spotlights a group of married Mormon men who are attracted to other men but don't identify as gay -- has caused outrage from organizations like GLAAD who find the themes of the show to be dangerous.

"This show is downright irresponsible," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis in astatement. "No one can change who they love, and, more importantly, no one should have to."

The cable network has responded to the criticism surrounding the special saying that it follows TLC's tradition of telling fascinating and true life stories.

"TLC has long shared compelling stories about real people and different ways of life, without judgment," the network said in a statement. "The individuals featured in this one-hour special reveal the decisions they have made, and speak only for themselves."

A Change.org petition has also been started that asks for TLC to cancel the special before it ever hits the airwaves.

As of Tuesday afternoon the petition had over 82,000 signatures.

"TLC is presenting victims' lives as entertainment, while sending the message that being gay is something that can and ought to be changed," the petition reads. "This message is harmful to both LGBT people and communities of faith."

On Tuesday's "Good Morning America," host Robin Roberts (who in 2013 publicly acknowledged that she was gay) also spoke out about the show.

"To even give the idea that it is a choice can be very dangerous," Roberts said. "Especially for young people who are dealing with their sexuality and trying to figure things out."

"My Husband's Not Gay" is scheduled to air January 11 on TLC. 

Nerds Without Pants

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Ms.KitKat
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM

just because one does not call themselves "x" does not mean they are not "x"

but what got me stuck was the part about being "fascinating"

yeah- um, no. not so much.

Pema_Jampa
Yesterday at 6:30 PM
OI POLLOI - DONALD TRUMP FUCK YOU (Official Music Video) Ⓐ

OI POLLOI - DONALD TRUMP FUCK YOU (Official Music Video) Ⓐ Order DONALD TRUMP FUCK YOU/UK 2017 EP on Red White and Blue Vinyl: http://www.urinalvinyl.com/sto...

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao!!!! .....Bhahahahaha..omg bhahaha! How delusional. More TLC trash
bluefirewolf
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe they should have a disclaimer about what psychiatrists and geneticist say about homosexuality with particular mention of the harm that can be done to people who do that conversion therapy thing
adorkablemommie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mormons are so funny. My MIL is Mormon. She will say one thing and turn around and say another just because some old white dude told her to.

Here's a funny Mormon/MIL-revange story, 

DH and I were visiting his mother in Salt Lake, we took DS20 with us.  Before leaving I dared DS20 to take the film "Latter Days" with us and watch it with my MIL. DH bet me $100 that he wouldn't do it. The morning we left DS20 spoke to her on the phone about watching a "Mormon Love Story" with her. She was over the moon at the prospect of sharing her religion with one of her Grandchildren (none of her 17 Grandchildren are Mormon, only 1of her 5 children is a practicing Mormon)  DS20 pulls out a DVD, doesn't even warn her first he just pops it on. (I love that kid!) She's watching it, slowly she realizes it's a Gay Mormon Love story, the look on her face was classic. Funny thing is she wasn't mad at DS20 at all, she blamed me, it made me laugh a little. Made DH laugh too. 

AdrianneHill
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:09 AM
Sorry. Yes you're husband is most likely gay but can't admit it to himself. He's not going to fix himself or get it out of his system. This is who that guy is
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)