Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Us and Them

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:35 AM
  • 47 Replies
4 moms liked this
Today I lost yet another friend. I received a message from an old friend that I was to stay away from him and his family. If I even said so much as hello to his wife he would personally "take care of the matter". I had been friend of theirs since the late 90's so I am pretty torn up about it all.
My only crime: I am a Conservative. Since the eve of Election day I have been silent. That sort of thing is difficult for me to do most times. I have developed a great deal of appreciation for politics and current events, and I have taken a great interest in trends of political discussion in social media. Most times I say very little about my own personal beliefs and instead take note of the views of others.
I have witnessed a total breakdown of our country these past couple of days. There are riots and shootings, vitriol smeared across social media platforms. Protests and shouting, anger and despondency: all these things fill the air. The saddest part of all is that I feel as though outing myself as one that voted Trump opens me up for a public stoning.
I suppose you can say I am one of those rural uneducated voters the dems warned everyone about. Let's disregard the fact that I am relatively intelligent, and I was raised by staunch liberal ex-hippies. I can't even go home right now and tell my family who I voted for.
"Us and Them, and after all we're only ordinary men." The line in the iconic Pink Floyd song goes. I see a majority of liberals saying it is an all out war, us and them. You see, it was never meant to be used and them. No matter our party affiliation, our background, our creed, our personal feelings we are still Americans and it's about damned time we start acting like it.
Apparently it's not OK to tell liberals it's going to be ok. Suck it up. It will be okay. Where was the conservative outrage when Obama won his second term but Romney won the popular vote? Where was the conservative anger when Pelosi stood in front of Congress and told them they could only see the details of the Obamacare legislation after it was passed? Where was the conservative protest when the LGBT legislation was passed by executive order, continuing a slow stripping of states right? Conservatives didn't march the streets, destroy property, carry around papier maché likenesses of Obama while shouting obscene chants. Their anger went to the polls. The conservatives did something that made a difference... they went out and voted when the time is right. The liberals have a shot at that too. Start with the mid cycle elections, take back the House or the Senate if you are so opposed to the election results. Conservatives waited, you liberals can too. Until then, quit trying to divide our great nation into a land of US and Them. It was never about one group against another, and especially now when we have a chance to prove to the rest of the world that we can man up, shake hands, and form some semblance of solidarity.
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You do not understand  and I am coming to think- you can not understand it.You do not see it as you sit upon your morally superior high horse.

I can tell a similar story but just reverse the us to them.

I am dreading Thanksgiving this year with my in-laws. I am forced to sit silently each year and this year there will be sides of gloating and boasting.

I have already prepared my dh that I will (quietly) excuse myself from the table.

My only crime is that I am a democrat. I did not divide this nation. That happened when we elected a president that you dispised because of the color of his skin. 

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Boy, did you ever nail it on the head- way to go!   
I am sorry that you lost good friends- I think we all have.  which says to me, their idea of friendship was more shallow than I thought.

I believe our country is at war between two ideologies.
   Conservative vs. progressive/liberal

it plays out in every walk of life, in all kinds of issues.  you name it, it is there.   

Ednarooni160
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM
4 moms liked this

The conservatives had to bear two terms of Obama..I do NOT feel sorry for anyone who voted LIB this election.

MommyMcMomface
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this
To claim I am on a moral high horse, then turn around and accuse me of not liking a president for the color of his skin.. well those two just don't jive. I actually voted for Obama his first term, honestly. I donly not dislike Obama for the color of his skin. That's a stupid reason to dislike anyone, in my opinion. I can't even claim I dislike him as a man. I do, however, dislike the administration and the legislation they have put into place, the political bully tactics they used to get their agendas passed.
Thanksgiving will be equally awkward for me. I Am hosting this year. My family (all liberal) has tried to goad me into a political argument ever since I declared myself conservative. I have learned to just smile and nod.
Don'the misunderstand me, I DO get it. Trump is the exact opposite of what the Liberal agenda has been pushing for the last 8 years. What I don't get is the all out tantrum that has been happening.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

You do not understand  and I am coming to think- you can not understand it.You do not see it as you sit upon your morally superior high horse.

I am dreading Thanksgiving this year with my in-laws. I am forced to sit silently each year and this year there will be sides of gloating and boasting.

I have already prepared my dh that I will (quietly) excuse myself from the table.

My only crime is that I am a democrat. I did not divide this nation. That happened when we elected a president that you dispised because of the color of his skin. 

MrsRobinson06
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:12 AM
I completely don't understand what any of this has to do with wishing condolences to family of a deceased loved one.
Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this
She is incapable of excepting the fact that people were against his policies.

Quoting MommyMcMomface: To claim I am on a moral high horse, then turn around and accuse me of not liking a president for the color of his skin.. well those two just don't jive. I actually voted for Obama his first term, honestly. I donly not dislike Obama for the color of his skin. That's a stupid reason to dislike anyone, in my opinion. I can't even claim I dislike him as a man. I do, however, dislike the administration and the legislation they have put into place, the political bully tactics they used to get their agendas passed.
Thanksgiving will be equally awkward for me. I Am hosting this year. My family (all liberal) has tried to goad me into a political argument ever since I declared myself conservative. I have learned to just smile and nod.
Don'the misunderstand me, I DO get it. Trump is the exact opposite of what the Liberal agenda has been pushing for the last 8 years. What I don't get is the all out tantrum that has been happening.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

coala
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that I'm not "most" people.  I didn't not dispise our current president because of the color of his skin.  I dispise his policies.  There is a HUGE difference in those two things.

I hope that people can stop saying that people dislike President Obama because of the color of his skin.  My family is far from racist.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Two negatives make a positive; so you are indicating by your using not twice that you are a racist although you attempt to deny it in your last sentence.

Thank you for clarifying.

Quoting coala:

I know that I'm not "most" people.  I didn't not dispise our current president because of the color of his skin.  I dispise his policies.  There is a HUGE difference in those two things.

I hope that people can stop saying that people dislike President Obama because of the color of his skin.  My family is far from racist.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

My only crime is that I am a democrat. I did not divide this nation. That happened when we elected a president that you dispised because of the color of his skin. that might be part of the problem.

I bet there are going to be a lot of Thanksgivings this year that are going to be quite tense.  Mine is going to be nice because it will just be our family for the first time in 2 years.

coala
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You have no leg to stand on in calling me a racist!!!

You don't know myself or my family.  To be honest, you may be one of the people we run into in public that look at us and our close friends as insane.  One of my closest friends and her family are black.  My children refer to them as their "black parents" and their DD as their "black sister".  We are also referenced as the "white famiy" from them.  It is all in jest and we love each other.  Here is the best part of this....that family is democrat and my family is republican.  We seem to acknowledge that we have different political opinions and can manage to continue to live our lives the same.  My BFF of 20 years voted for Obama...the first time.  She bought his false promises.  She voted Romney the 2nd time around.  Again, that didn't change who she is or who our families get along or how much we love each other.

So go ahead and call me a racist or whatever else you want to throw at me!!  I know where my family stands and what is important to us.  Go ahead and factor into the rest of your claim that a large part of our "extended family" from my kids sports team are immigrants.  Please humor yourself with whatever negative things you seem to think about me without knowing who I am as a person.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Two negatives make a positive; so you are indicating by your using not twice that you are a racist although you attempt to deny it in your last sentence.

Thank you for clarifying.

Quoting coala:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)