• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oklahoma GroupMe account terrifies Penn students after adding them to ‘N*gger lynching’ group

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM
  • 0 Replies

(Photo: Shutterstock and screen captures)

Students at the University of Pennsylvania were subjected to a GroupMe group called “N*gger lynching.” But Penn officials have learned that the group was started by students in Oklahoma.

Raw Story has been compiling a list that is currently just under 100 incidents of assault, overt racism and intimidation coming from Donald Trump supporters following the election. They range in severity from hurtful to criminal. From signs over water fountains saying “white” and “colored” to a 10-year-old girl having her genitals grabbed by a boy in school because the president told him he could do it.

While this is one of many incidents, we’ve learned more about this since the initial Facebook post went up just a few hours ago.

Calvary Rogers
7 hours ago

I spent my morning running to the Vice Provost office of my university in the middle of class because my freshmen brothers and sisters got added to a group called "Nigger Lynching." Literally, every single black freshmen was added. I stared an administrator in the eye and literally lost it. And quite honestly I just can't stop crying. I feel sick to my stomach. I don't feel safe.

This is personal. To all my fellow black students, the Vice Provost office is open for you as a safe space. 3611 Locust Walk. Know that we are active.

BillyPenn.com obtained screen captures of the messages where students said things like “Never be a n*gger in SAE,” referring to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

“Our chapter rejects any association whatsoever with the GroupMe messages,” the SAE national fraternity said to Raw Story in an emailed statement. “Facebook groups, and the unacceptable and intolerable racism that is associated with those groups. Racism has no place in our chapter or in the Penn community. We are shocked, horrified and enraged by these attacks on members of our community.”

You can also see that a student identifying as Ashlyn Ball was responsible for creating an event in the group for daily lynchings and also referred to people as “coons.”

Black students throughout @Penn's campus, like myself, have been added to this hateful GroupMe. I am petrified and all I want to do is cry.

“Earlier today a number of Black freshmen students at Penn were added to a racist Group Me Account that appears to be based in Oklahoma,” Penn said in a statement. “The account contains violent, racist and thoroughly repugnant images and messages. Our police and information security staff are trying to locate the exact source and see what steps can be taken to cut the account off. Staff in the office of VPUL are trying to determine exactly how many students were impacted and how best to provide support.”

The Daily Penn also reported that black freshmen were added to another group called “Mud Men” and “Trump Is Love.” Both groups had explicit and racist messages. While those responsible may have done this to silence students of color it has only empowered them. The paper reports students are now organizing.

There are many people in the comments section of an article on The Daily Pennsylvanian that names some of the people associated with the group created. Some are alleging and naming students at the University of Tulsa and another at the University of Arkansas.

You can see the screen caps of the Group Me below:

Hey white students at @Penn: step up and show up. Go to the emergency town hall & listen to the pain. Then do what they ask you to do.

Scare tactics will not work. No student of color at @Penn that I've spoken to is anything other than resolute. They won't succumb to fear. pic.twitter.com/TQfhbw6rqY

View image on Twitter
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)