Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evan McMullin to launch conservative group opposing Trump

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM
  • 15 Replies

Former presidential candidate Evan McMullin and his running mate Mindy Finn will launch a new conservative group on Wednesday that's opposed to President Trump, and will kick off the effort with a television advertisement questioning his connections to Russia.

"Stand Up Republic" is a new 501(c)4 political nonprofit organization. McMullin and Finn, both Republicans, waged a long-shot independent bid for president in 2016 to block Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton from winning 270 electoral votes, and throw the election to the House.

They envision their new group as a home for conservative grassroots opposition to Trump, but plan to partner with activists on the left who share their concerns about the threat they believe Trump poses to the Constitution, equality and liberty. Stand Up Republic's first television spot questions Trump's ties to Russian strongman Vladimir Putin, and suggests that the new president is hiding something and needs to come clean about his connections to Moscow.

The ad is clearly intended to provoke the president. It's slated to run for two weeks in the Washington and New York markets only — and only on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," because Trump is known to be an avid watcher of the cable news network's morning program.

"Our goals are to grow a grassroots movement that will be able to exert influence over both the president and members of Congress," McMullin said during an interview in which he provided the Washington Examiner a first-look at the group and the television ad.

"Vladimir Putin is carrying out a campaign to subvert democracies across Europe, and here," McMullin added. "We're standing up to that."

McMullin and Finn spent most of their time last year campaigning in Utah. McMullin is a Mormon and he has relationships in the state. They finished with 21 percent of the vote, in third place behind Trump (45.9 percent) and Clinton (27.8 percent). They didn't do any better elsewhere.

But they said during the campaign that part of their plan was to create a new conservative movement that spurned Trump's populist nationalism.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mcmullin-launches-anti-trump-group/article/2612880

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM
5 moms liked this

They envision their new group as a home for conservative grassroots opposition to Trump, but plan to partner with activists on the left who share their concerns -

Hmm

Sounds like somone we all know.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this
Someone who likes to let her hair color be known

Quoting Billiejeens:

They envision their new group as a home for conservative grassroots opposition to Trump, but plan to partner with activists on the left who share their concerns -

Hmm

Anonymous052386
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I wish them luck
Reading.Rainbow
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM
4 moms liked this

Good luck to him...

THe Republican party needs to put morals back at their front, like they used to be.

newlife1214
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Seriously? So now people can't come together when they realize the truth!

Lets grow a pair and stop the bullying across this country. 

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

He is actually a republican I can get behind.

I really like himclapping

Sundance8
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Good for him! A Republican with integrity exists. He gives me hope.

I hope he can find some other folks who aren't brainwashed to join him. Trump is a horror, and the GOP leaders are following him without question.
Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Good luck to him...

THe Republican party needs to put morals back at their front, like they used to be.

I think we can fairly say this about the Democrats as well.  Wikileaks sure showed how rotten their core is.

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Hmm

hmm... Republicans praised Bill Clinton when he worked with a Republican congress during the 90's.

Come together on common ground for the nation and it's citizens.

Ronald Reagan said when he left the Democrat Party....the Party left me.

I'm still a registered Republican and I don't plan to join the Democrat Party. Many sincere conservatives do not support DT for various reasons.

For an intelligent woman, you refuse to accept reality.

I read an article the office of the First Lady may change to First Family to accommodate Ivanka Trump, a political advisor to her father.

Trump admittedly is not a conservative nor a true Republican. An opportunist, a progressive liberal his entire adult life. His children are progressive liberals.

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I share your concerns...

Quoting Sundance8: Good for him! A Republican with integrity exists. He gives me hope. I hope he can find some other folks who aren't brainwashed to join him. Trump is a horror, and the GOP leaders are following him without question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)