Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

University warns over 'inappropriate' lavatory habits - blaming foreign students for defecating in the showers and dustbins

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM
  • 15 Replies

University warns over 'inappropriate' lavatory habits - blaming foreign students for defecating in the showers and dustbins

• The memo was emailed to 400 students and 250 staff at Strathclyde University 
  • It reminded them that 'all bodily fluids' needed to be 'disposed down the toilet' 
  • The memo singled out the 'different practices' of foreign students 
  • But a university spokeswoman later hurridly apologised for the email

Students at one of Scotland's top universities have been told off for pooing in showers and bins.

Bosses at Strathclyde University were forced to send a memo to the 400 students and 250 staff  asking them to stop with their 'inappropriate' toilet habits.

The memo, posted on Thursday, was sent by the operations management team of the University's Technology and Innovation Centre.

Bosses at Strathclyde University sent the memo to 400 students and 250 staff who use the Technology and Innovation Centre (pictured) 

It read: 'Given the incidence of people pooing in bins, showers and the likes, can I please remind all TIC occupants that the toilets have been provided for that specific purpose.

'All bodily fluids, solids and toilet paper must be disposed of down the toilet.

'While I appreciate that the TIC population is multi-cultural and different countries have different practices, here in the UK the accepted practice is to use only the WC.'

An insider told the Daily Record that they 'couldn't imagine' the bizarre problem as a place as high-tech as the TIC.

They added: 'The building houses some of the most intelligent brains int he world - yet they don't appear to know how to use the toilet.

The £89million centre was opened by the Queen in 2015, but apparently some of its boffins 'don't appear to know how to use a toilet'

'The cleaners are sick of coming across poo and used toilet paper in places it just shouldn't be.' 

A University spokeswoman said the original email contained 'sentiments that are completely contrary to our institutional values.'

The Technology and Innovation Centre opened in central Glasgow in 2015 at the cost of £89million.

It is described on its website as a home for 'researchers, engineers and project managers from academia and industry, who will work side by side on projects spanning future cities, manufacturing, health and energy.' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4598160/University-warns-inappropriate-lavatory-habits.html#ixzz4kSe33meM 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sillygirl83
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Ewwwwwwwwww!
Abacokalea005
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It's scary what the next generation is becoming.

Ednarooni160
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Looks like they need toilet training classes..   Who'd a thunk it.

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

A spokeswoman for the University said: “We have apologised for any offence caused to colleagues. The email contained sentiments that are completely contrary to our institutional values and should not have been sent. It was recalled as soon as it came to our attention and we swiftly issued an apology to staff.

“We are reviewing the circumstances relating to its circulation and are taking steps to ensure that all future communications are appropriate and are consistent with our ethos.”

Don’t feel discouraged by this one and don’t forget everybody! Multiculturalism is our strength!!!

Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It's disgusting, yet I find the whole incident funny.
paigea
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope they aplogized.  The only time I saw poo in the wrong place (tub) there were no foreigners around, just drunk locals!

Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM

I thought I'd post some interesting photos I found on the subject..

This first one was to help Asian travelers in a Swiss train station (according to the accompanying note)

rdppkO0.png

This is a public toliet in Al Hasa Saudi Arabia according to the footnote:

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM

You're Taking a Crap Wrong! This Is How You Poop Properly

Your entire life has been a lie.

Image via tumblr.com

I also bet you didn't know about this or this. Revelations can change your entire outlook on life and what I am about to tell you is one of them.

We're Taking a Crap the Wrong Way

Yeah, you read that right. The way we go to the bathroom has been incorrect since the rise of the western civilization and the creation of the modern toilet.

Image via loveyourgut.com

How to Take a Crap Properly

Stanford University has revealed a new study that shows squatting is the proper and recommended way to go to the bathroom. What's more astonishing is that this study isn't new. According to Henry L. Bockus in Gastroenterology, the standard textbook on the subject:

"The ideal posture for defecation is the squatting position, with the thighs flexed upon the abdomen. In this way the capacity of the abdominal cavity is greatly diminished and intra-abdominal pressure increased, thus encouraging expulsion ...".

The reason is because of the puborectalis muscle.

Image via amazonaws.com

This muscle acts as a sling for your rectum and maintains continence. When we sit down on the toilet, the hold on the rectum is loosened, but only partially. In a squatting posture, the hold is completely relaxed, allowing for an easier release of your bowel.

Why Squat?

It may seem a bit too much work to squat every time you need to go to the bathroom, so why do it?

Simply put, it is healthier.

Squatting is what humans (and most animals) have done for thousands of years before the invention of the modern toilet. Ailments such as constipation, hemorrhoids, and appendicitis have increased since the adaption of the modern toilet. Research shows that our bathroom posture plays a bigger role in these ailments than a lack of dietary fiber. This awesome video explains everything in more detail.

Pooping Revolution

It's never easy to change the way we've done something for such a long time. I'll put this whole thing in perspective—

We sit comfortably on the toilet just like we comfortably eat junk food. We eat junk food because it's easy to get and tastes delicious. Our current bathroom posture is easy to do, comforting and we can even text while doing it. Junk food isn't good for you though. Carrots, spinach and peas are good for your body, but people don't like the taste. Squatting is the equivalent to this—it's the not-so-great tasting vegetables that keep us healthy.

We've already begun to change the way we eat, so why not change the way we poop. The great people at Squatty Potty have created a stool that allows you to squat on your own toilet and create your own stolls. Heck, you can even improvise and make your own stool for better stool-making!

It may be awkward at first, and a bit embarrassing, but it's good for you. Health is one of the most important things in our lives, so why not make your life better?

And while you're at it, you should know, pooping isn't the only thing you're doing wrong in the restroom.

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM

How to Poop Properly: A Total Game Changer

curtoicurto via Getty Images

If you’re sitting on the toilet reading this, it’s high time you squatted instead.

Though little practiced in the United States, crouching down on the commode is how most of the world has pooped into antiquity. And science is starting to catch up. When sitting on the toilet, with knees at a right angle, your puborectalis muscle, the muscle responsible for continence, relaxes only partially. But in a squatting posture, it releases completely. Basically, humans are designed not to leak, so in an upright position, there is a bend in our digestive tracts between the rectum and anus, that stops us from pooping, much like a bend in a garden hose stops the flow of water. A squat opens the pipes and frees the flow entirely. That’s why folks often need to push when sitting.

An Israeli researcher named Dov Sikirov wondered about this and asked groups of study participants to defecate squatting over a container. He compared how long each bowel movement took and the effort required. Sikirov published his results in Digestive Diseases and Sciences and found that, in a squatting posture, subjects required, on average, only one-third the time to garner a movement. Plus, subjects who squatted rated the experience as much easier than did those who sat.

In Japan, researchers took this quite a bit further. For a study published in the journal Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms, six subjects had their rectums filled with a contrast solution that could be seen under X-ray. The subjects then released the fluid from a squatting or a sitting position while being filmed with X-ray video. The videos showed that the anorectal angle increased significantly from 100 degrees to 126 degrees from sit to squat, making defecation much easier in the squat.

I’m eager to put a squat to the test, so I place a simple footstool at the base of the toilet. This elevates my feet eight or so inches off the ground and simulates a squat.

A few days in and the jury is out. All of the studies are spot on. A foot stool makes my morning meditation quicker, more complete, and, yet, effortless. The experience is sublime. No pushing. No waiting. Why poop through perpendicular plumbing? Who knows, I suspect one day footrests will be standard fare on toilets and posterity will scratch their heads at that strange dark time in history when folks sat straight up to poop.

Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

"The way we go to the bathroom has been incorrect since the rise of the western civilization and the creation of the modern toilet."

toddler tantrum

Curse you western society for inventing the toilet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)