Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great News?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM
  • 77 Replies
Republicans May Be 1 Senator Away From Repealing Obamacare. Here’s What to Know

The Republican Party’s efforts to repeal Obamacare, formally known as the Affordable Care Act, aren’t dead quite yet—and they may even be gaining steam with the “Graham-Cassidy health care bill.”

Two months ago, three senior Republican Senators defied their leadership to sink what, at the time, seemed to be the last chance to dismantle former President Barack Obama’s signature health law on a purely party-line vote. But now, Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell and President Donald Trump are reportedly trying to whip up support for another Obamacare repeal bill introduced recently by Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana. And the GOP may be just one “aye” shy of the magic 50-vote threshold to continue the seven-plus year legislative marathon to gut the Affordable Care Act. (Vice President Mike Pence would cast the deciding ballot in the case of a 50-50 split in the Senate.

Politico reports that, by some counts, 49 Senators may be on board with the Graham-Cassidy bill, which has also been sponsored by Republican Sens. Dean Heller of Nevada and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. Conservative Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky announced his opposition on the grounds that the Graham-Cassidy bill represents “Obamacare lite.”

It’s unclear whether other previous opponents of the GOP repeal efforts, including moderates like Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, Alaska’s Lisa Murkowski, and Arizona’s John McCain would remain opposed—but the legislation would make significant cuts to the Medicaid program for the poor and change its fundamental structure by turning far more authority over to states, which could potentially lead to coverage losses and benefit cuts. The amount of money disbursed to states would be highly variable; the bill’s supporters argue that sort of flexibility is key to addressing regional health needs.
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Interesting....  we'll see.

Mrs.KAZ
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM
I heard on the news this afternoon that McCain was still a hold out.

I have to look into this new bill more.
sillygirl83
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM
I think he said he would consider voting for it if the governor of Arizona endorsed it and he did endorse it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I really want Obamacare done away with. On the other hand I don't think this is all that great a replacement.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: I heard on the news this afternoon that McCain was still a hold out.

Mrs.KAZ
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I just read up on it, you're right, it doesn't seem better.

I know why the push to get it done, if it is not done by January 2018, when Obamacare's Medicare/caid changes take place, hospitals and health care systems face hardship. But, I wish they would take a little more time, and do it right.

I hope they are open to further reforms if it is changed.

Quoting sillygirl83: I think he said he would consider voting for it if the governor of Arizona endorsed it and he did endorse it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I really want Obamacare done away with. On the other hand I don't think this is all that great a replacement.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: I heard on the news this afternoon that McCain was still a hold out.

sillygirl83
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM
I think passing this now as a work in progress might be the best option at this point. I just don't want the opportunity for repealing Obamacare wasted.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: I just read up on it, you're right, it doesn't seem better.

I know why the push to get it done, if it is not done by January 2018, when Obamacare's Medicare/caid changes take place, hospitals and health care systems face hardship. But, I wish they would take a little more time, and do it right.

I hope they are open to further reforms if it is changed.

Quoting sillygirl83: I think he said he would consider voting for it if the governor of Arizona endorsed it and he did endorse it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I really want Obamacare done away with. On the other hand I don't think this is all that great a replacement.

Reading.Rainbow
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Great news for who ?

The millions who will lose coverage ?

The ones who will catch communicable diseases from the ones who couldn't afford insurance?

The mother who has to deal with the death of her baby because she couldn't afford medical care and didn't know there was something wrong with the pregnancy that she could have fixed?

The elderly patients who can't afford their pain medication anymore?

The cancer patients who can no longer get care ?

Or just... the people who might save a few bucks on healthcare. Yay for them.

sillygirl83
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM
If it works it's great news for the millions of us who have had skyrocketing premiums because of Obamacare.

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Great news for who ?

The ones who will catch communicable diseases from the ones who couldn't afford insurance?

The mother who has to deal with the death of her baby because she couldn't afford medical care and didn't know there was something wrong with the pregnancy that she could have fixed?

Pema_Jampa
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh you going to die? Pft whatever loser my premiums are too high!!! ^^^^^

sillygirl83
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 6:58 PM
?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Oh you going to die? Pft whatever loser my premiums are too high!!! ^^^^^

Reading.Rainbow
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless it's your kid that gets severely sick from someone who couldn't afford medical care when they started showing symptoms.

Or if you or even your own kids ever give birth to a premature child and your grandchild can't get medical care at an affordable price because he was born with a pre-existing condition. So they end up going without medical care.

Then it fucking sucks.

Then saving a buck isn't as important. But it will get very costly once the hospital bills start showing up.

It's great until you're the one who is affected.

Quoting sillygirl83: If it works it's great news for the millions of us who have had skyrocketing premiums because of Obamacare.
Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Great news for who ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)