Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with this? Edit

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 140 Total Views

My 16 year son's coach is very strict about the kids missing practice and will bench them if they miss a practice. Well my son is in a tournament this weekend and we drove one of his teammates since his parents couldn't make it to them game. On the way home from the game my son asked his friend why he was benched. He said it was because he had missed the last practice because he had to work and couldn't get his shift changed. He also said he was told if he misses a practice again because work, not to bother to show up to the next game. He said his boss is very flexible and his work schedule is worked around the hockey schedule but the last practice he missed was an add on so he had no choice. I think it's insane that he punishs them for having a job and expects them to put their hockey before their job when some teens can't afford to not have a job. What do you think?

Edit:

We drove him to the 2nd game today so I asked him what his parents said about him being benched and he said they are mad because before he even tried out for the team they asked the coach if him having a job would be a problem. The coach said no it wouldn't be. So why is it a problem all of a sudden? He said this was the 1st practice that he missed, l would understand where the coach is coming from if he missed a bunch of practices but that's not the case

by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wesnpatsmom2011
by Mite on Nov. 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I guess I am kinda split here. I agree that kids need to know the importance of practice, but I know there are times when missing just happens. Maybe this coach should be a little more relaxed, but of course too relaxed and people will take advantage. I personaly am not going to let my kids work during the school year at least when they are teens. Maybe a summer job, but thats it. I know they need to learn work ethics and all that, but I also think they should be free to be kids and do stuff like sports, clubs, ect.  I worked a part time job in high school and thankfully it was pretty flexible with my sports and extra activites, but I just would rather not deal with it. I know some kids don't have a choice though, they need to work to help with family expenses.

MommyWeston
by Owner/Admin- Shauna on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

If it was a one time thing and the practice was added to the schedule last minute and the kid tried to get off of work and couldn't, I don't think it's fair. If it happened all of the time I would agree with the coach

Barabell
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I was thinking this too.

Quoting MommyWeston:

If it was a one time thing and the practice was added to the schedule last minute and the kid tried to get off of work and couldn't, I don't think it's fair. If it happened all of the time I would agree with the coach

AliSingleMom4
by Allison on Nov. 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Bump for my edit

Barabell
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I hate it when coaches go back on their words like that. It's sad.

Mitchi602
by on Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I was thinking this too.

Quoting MommyWeston:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TDenham5
by Tracey on Nov. 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I don't think the coach is very fair

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)