Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scary incident that happen in last night's game Update! Another Update!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 392 Total Views

Yesterday afternoon my 14 year old son Jake had a hockey game. One of his players was seriously injured. The player on the other team hit nothing but his head and he fell to the ice having a seizure. He was taking off the ice on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital. It was very scary to witness. The player that hit him was kicked out of the game and didn't seem to feel bad about it at all. My son's team has two players out with injuries and they were watching the game by the dressing rooms so when this player was kicked out they said something to him because that hit should never have happened and he is known to be a very dirty player. After they said something to him he tried to pick a fight with the injured players including on on crutches with a broken leg. His mom had to go down and make him go into his dressing room. They probably shouldn't have said anything to him but I don't blame them after what they just saw. I'm not sure how he is doing, once the team gets an update from his family I will post an update.

Update:

My son had a game last night so we were able to get an update. He has a concusion but other than that he seems to be alright. They don't think he will be back for the rest of the season or even for the play offs. There is a rumor going around the league that the player that hit him is getting a 7 or 8 game suspension and that this is his 3rd suspension. Another rumor is that he keeps having to change towns to play hockey in because no coach wants him on their team and I don't blame them.

Update-
So this kid did end up getting 7 games but the kid got him self in more trouble by running his mouth on facebook. Someone on asked him on facebook how many games he was suspended, he posted that he got 7 games but "it doesn't matter because he f***ed that kid up and that is all the he wanted to do." Someone saw it, printed it out and reported it to the league. He is now banned from the league and will most likely have trouble playing hockey anywhere else since this will follow him. His teammates also added some comments about the situation so they must attend a seminar about head injuries as well as write a letter to the head of the league to say why the team should not be suspended for the rest of the season. As of right now they are on probation anymore dirty hits during a game and they can be done for the season. 

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaAsh08
by Ashlyn on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Oh my gosh, that would be scary. I hope he is ok!

listening to tunes butterfly on head blowing bubblesgirl on a swingtoddler girl

Ally                       Mady                   Makenna              Leah                 Alexis
(11/04/00)          (09/12/05)             (09/12/05)           (12/03/09)         (12/03/09)

AlyssaC2
by Alyssa on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Oh wow, i hope the kid who hit him gets the punishment he deserves and I hope your son's teammate is alright

Barabell
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

How scary. I hope the teammate recovers alright.

In the high school hockey here, they just increased penalties for checking from behind and hits to the head. They haven't done that yet for youth hockey here though. I'm hoping that increased penalties for those types of hits are increased everywhere throughout the hockey community.

AliSingleMom4
by Allison on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I hope he is ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I hope he is okay.  My friends son was out with a concussion, the opposing player left his feet to deliver the elbow to his head.

MommyWeston
by Owner/Admin- Shauna on Jan. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Bump for my update!

AliSingleMom4
by Allison on Jan. 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM
I hope he does get the 7 or 8 games, he sure does deserve it. A concussion is pretty bad but I'm glad that is all it is!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I'm surprised by the update. Here, in Minnesota, my understanding is that cases like that are brought before Minnesota Hockey (which is our state board under USA Hockey), and they make the decision to ban or suspend a player like that. Even if they change teams, they still would not be able to register for MN Hockey, and so they would still be banned from playing. (We also cannot change teams unless we either: 1. move our house to a different region or 2. get waivers signed by both associations and district presidents.)

So why isn't that kid being brought to the head of the hockey governing board and being kicked out?

MommyWeston
by Owner/Admin- Shauna on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I don't know what really is going on, those are just rumors going around the league. I'm sure we won't hear what actually happens though, I doubt they would make an announcement about it.

Quoting Barabell:

I'm surprised by the update. Here, in Minnesota, my understanding is that cases like that are brought before Minnesota Hockey (which is our state board under USA Hockey), and they make the decision to ban or suspend a player like that. Even if they change teams, they still would not be able to register for MN Hockey, and so they would still be banned from playing. (We also cannot change teams unless we either: 1. move our house to a different region or 2. get waivers signed by both associations and district presidents.)

So why isn't that kid being brought to the head of the hockey governing board and being kicked out?

MamaAsh08
by Ashlyn on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I'm glad he seems to be ok! =)

listening to tunes butterfly on head blowing bubblesgirl on a swingtoddler girl

Ally                       Mady                   Makenna              Leah                 Alexis
(11/04/00)          (09/12/05)             (09/12/05)           (12/03/09)         (12/03/09)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN