Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backyard Rinks

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

Just wondering how many of you have a backyard rink, or have had one.  We have one and D is constantly out on it when the weather permits.  Here are a few picture of him on the rink

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Here are a couple of videos of him

AliSingleMom4
by Allison on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Our backyard isn't big enough for one :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennTMomOf4
by Jenn on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I would love to have a rink for the kids to skate and play on but it would melt here

hockeymomsue64
by Sue on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

My boys have made them in the past, it was too mild this year for one to freeze so they didn't do one this year.

MamaAsh08
by Ashlyn on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Our backyard is a hill, if it wasn't we would consider making one for our girls.

listening to tunes butterfly on head blowing bubblesgirl on a swingtoddler girl

Ally                       Mady                   Makenna              Leah                 Alexis
(11/04/00)          (09/12/05)             (09/12/05)           (12/03/09)         (12/03/09)

Barabell
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

We'd love to make one, but just haven't spent the time/money on it.

How expensive was yours to make, and how to you smooth the ice out?

I'm glad we didn't try this winter though because it's been way TOO warm. All of his outdoor practices but one have been cancelled. Even the outdoor refrigerated rinks here aren't being used because of the warm winter.

highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It was not that expensive to make.  We purchased some 2x10's and PT plywood for the shell, and a poly sheet from a firm here in our city that has them for backyard rinks - cost was about $150 for all of this.  We then filled the rink with 1" of water and let it freeze, then another layer of 1" of water and let it freeze again.  After this we patched in any low spots with ice and let it sit a few hours then filled it up with more water.  It was pretty level after that.

For care - we get go over it with a shovel after they have used it then we will flood the ice with the water again.  Good thing is we can use the tarp and the boards again next year.

Quoting Barabell:

I'm glad we didn't try this winter though because it's been way TOO warm. All of his outdoor practices but one have been cancelled. Even the outdoor refrigerated rinks here aren't being used because of the warm winter.

Barabell
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I know there is a local landscaping store that sells the tarps here, but I can't remember how much they cost. I think that's the biggest investment cost, from when I've talked to other people. Hopefully, we'll be able to create one next winter. I'm just glad we didn't do one this winter since we've had very few days below freezing. The winter has felt more like a really long spring. So odd.

Did you have to attach the sheet/tarp to the boards? If so, how did you do that so you could reuse the sheet?

Quoting highlandmum:

It was not that expensive to make.  We purchased some 2x10's and PT plywood for the shell, and a poly sheet from a firm here in our city that has them for backyard rinks - cost was about $150 for all of this.  We then filled the rink with 1" of water and let it freeze, then another layer of 1" of water and let it freeze again.  After this we patched in any low spots with ice and let it sit a few hours then filled it up with more water.  It was pretty level after that.

For care - we get go over it with a shovel after they have used it then we will flood the ice with the water again.  Good thing is we can use the tarp and the boards again next year.

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)