Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here... have question about proper skate fit...

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

SS10 hit the ice for the first time in his life on Tuesday and he is a natural. Little clumsy, but he got 100% better than the other newbies.

He likes it a lot, but his ankles kept turning in. The instructor tried to correct him time and time again, but I wonder if this has to do with the support in the skates.

Do any of the moms here use tape? Or what strategies can you suggest to correct this issue? I fear he will end up breaking an ankle if he doesn't correct this.

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Barabell
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

First off, welcome to the group!!

My son did the same thing when he was 7. I didn't do anything to correct it. Your son needs to learn to correct it on his own.

When my son did it, I asked his coaches about if I should do anything to help, and they recommended that we don't do anything. You son needs to learn how to balance on his feet properly, and he needs to be able to move his ankles around. By the end of the season, my son was skating properly. I'm sure your son will get it too once he learns how to skate better.

highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

This is totally dependent on the skater.  With my son  who is 7 the Easton skates he had offered no support for him.  We purchased a pair of Bauer Supreme One.9 skates with the superfeet insert.  We have found that this has really improved his skating. 

Have you had him checked for flat feet?  This can be a issue with rolling ankles.  This is the reason we got the super feet for our son.  Know that you do not want to here it but the better the skate the more support they will offer.  But this will also go hand in hand with price.  Another thing that will help is experience - power skating is great for correcting strides and developing the correct technique.

This is the superfeet inserts

http://www.superfeet.com/activity/hockey.aspx

Once he gets more experience you may want to look to see if there is any place around you that has a skating treadmill like this

http://www.thezonetraining.ca/skating-treadmill

What skates are you using?  My husband would never tape or even recommend tapping the ankles.  Make sure that the skates are tight enough and are not too big as this will allow the foot to move around way too much.

Barabell
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yes, making sure the skate is a proper fit is another great point. The skates need to be tight. Usually my son's skates are a size smaller than his shoe size.

I get most of my son's equipment from Play It Again Sports, and the staff there are really helpful in taking the time to make sure my son's equipment fits properly. I do not buy my son used skates. We found it's better to buy them new and then break in to his specific feet. When he was younger, we did try buying a used pair, and they threw off his balance a lot. Since then, we make the investment to buy them new.

Right now he has the Reebok hockey skates with the pumping up freature. It provides a better fit, keeping the skate tighter. Normally, he prefer Bauer, but he really, really likes these Reebok skates. I will probably buy them again. I would not expect the pump feature to prevent bent ankle though.

I_Do_It_All
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
thank you ladies! very helpful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)