Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tryouts Starting

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

My son's tryouts started last night. He's sick, and so he couldn't breathe through his nose at all and his eyes started stinging during the ice time. I could tell he wasn't skating as well as normal because of it. But 3 of the 4 coaches doing the evaluations have worked with him before. So I'm hoping that his illness doesn't affect what team he might be placed on.

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I just hate the waiting. I wish the coaches would give some kind of hint...LOL I'm so impatient. hahaha

-KJ
by Mite on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Our try outs start on oct 22. The people doing the evaluations do not know any of our kids to make it really fair. My son has improved so much and u just hope he does well!

Bummer that your DS wasn't feeling well for it! Hope he's better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting -KJ:

Our try outs start on oct 22. The people doing the evaluations do not know any of our kids to make it really fair. My son has improved so much and u just hope he does well!

Bummer that your DS wasn't feeling well for it! Hope he's better soon!

I guess we just don't have enough coaches to do have people doing evaluations that don't know the kids already. How do you find enough adult volunteers that play hockey at a high enough level to do that?

Thanks for the well wishes.

Oct 22nd seems so far off. Is it for mites?

-KJ
by Mite on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM
They usually swap with a near by town to do the evals, but I guess they have new people this year from another town that know nobody and there's no conflict of interest. It's for squirts, mites don't try out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Our tryouts are all done. The last teams that do tryouts are all the MD teams. The AAA ana AA teams have been done for a while. My sons first game is this Sunday. It is the timbit game, losing teams coach has to present a box of 64 timbits to the winning team.
highlandmum
by Admin- Elaina on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Quoting -KJ:

They usually swap with a near by town to do the evals, but I guess they have new people this year from another town that know nobody and there's no conflict of interest. It's for squirts, mites don't try out.

What age are squirts? We do not have that in our teams. The first year of tryouts for us is Novice which is age 8, with the addition of 16 - 7 year olds.
-KJ
by Mite on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Squirts is 10-11 year olds. They try out and end up on either the squirt A or squirt B team. DS was on squirt B last year so we are hoping to be an A this year. This is only his 3rd season playing and he's doing so well! I also have a mite 1 (in his 2nd year) but they don't try out until squirts so he has awhile yet before that.

Quoting highlandmum:

Quoting -KJ:

What age are squirts? We do not have that in our teams. The first year of tryouts for us is Novice which is age 8, with the addition of 16 - 7 year olds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quoting highlandmum:

Quoting -KJ:

Mini (Mighty) Mites
    1st year players (boys & gilrs) 6 and younger
    Date of birth falls between 7/1/2004 and 6/30/2008

Mites - Mite C/Mite A & B
    Ages 7-8
    Date of birth falls between 7/1/2002 and 6/30/2004

Squirts
    Ages 9-10
    Date of birth falls between 7/1/2000 and 6/30/2002

Peewees
    Ages 11-12
    Date of birth falls between 7/1/1998 and 6/30/2000

Bantams
    Ages 13-14
    Date of birth falls between 7/1/1996 and 6/30/1998

*Edit, I just noticed those DOB are from last year. So add a year to it.

Barabell
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

UPDATE -

Brandon came home from tryouts last night beaming with pride. (It was session #5 of the 8.) During the last 20 minutes they had a scrimmage, and he had a hat trick during the time. He said the coaches picked the lines today, and he was with 3 former teammates. He played center, and his line alone scored 8 points during the scrimmage. Brandon also said that every single one of the coaches complimented during the scrimmage too. It was stuff like "nice passing."

He normally plays defense, but he's between switching between defense and center during the tryouts. So I was surprised that the coaches had him play center instead of defense, but it seems like it's working well for him!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)