• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Study of the Gospel of John - Week 1 Day 2

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 173 Total Views

Day Two

1. Compare the 2 basic reactions man has to Jesus as the Light in reading the Gospel of John Chapter 3, verses 19-21.

2. What truths can you see by studying the Epistle of I John   Chapter 3 verse 1 and then studying the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 10-11?

3. Give some examples of how the world did not recognize and did not receive Jesus Christ.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Niborcb
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

1. 1) those who do evil hate the light for fear their evil deeds will be exposed.

2) those who live by the truth embrace the light so that all can see what they do has been done through God

2. The world does not know Jesus - does not recognize Him as the Son of God. So the world does not understand those if us who do recognize Him as such.

3. The Jewish religious leaders called him a blasphemer. 

He was not recognized as the long-awaited Messiah by the Jews.

He was ridiculed by many.

The authorities plotted his arrest and had him crucified.

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

1. Some would turn away from Him because of the wickedness of their hearts and their actions. (Nobody likes it to be know when we do things we are ashamed of or that we know is wrong. Jesus and His gospel clearly exposes those things in our lives that are contrary to Him.  It's hard to face that; it's hard to look at ourselves and go..yes, I am a sinner.  It's like the question: Have you ever stolen anything in your life? If the answer is yes, then you are a thief. Have you told a lie? You are a liar. We don't like to admit those things about ourselves, so it is no wonder that some would turn away from Him because of the exposure of His light.)  Others respond to Jesus like Thomas did when He said "My lord and my god!" (John 20:28)

2. As Christians, we are in this world but not of it. The world looks at us as odd because frankly, we are.  What we stand for, the way we strive to live our lives is contrary to how the world lives and what they stand for. They did not recognize Jesus because - first, He was not what they expected the Messiah to be, but secondly I think they did not recognize Him because their hearts were hardened by sin. They looked at Him as an oddity; His holiness was something they had not seen nor experienced. They looked at Him through eyes of self-righteousness rather than eyes seeking the Lord.

3. They expected the Messiah to be another David; a warrior king who would free them from Roman occupation. They did not expect a humble, homeless, son of a carpenter.  They did not expect a man whose birth was by all appearances the result of sin. They expected a great king; not a humble servant. Because He called them to peace, not war.. to self-examination rather than self-righteousness...to humility rather than pride..they scorned Him, they mocked Him, and ultimately they killed Him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)