Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Common Enemy

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315672_10150329281451260_90664406259_8278821_1593031887_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/310373_250424501672504_100001148679051_709933_1490412486_n.jpg

The Tea Party and OWS have a common enemy instead of pitting us against one another, we should be talking about how to come together and fix the problem.

by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Nighttiger
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM

If people could get past the social issues of abortion and gay rights, I think the tea party and OWS do share a common enemy.  However, as long as there is focus on restricting human rights, the two parties will never be able to agree, and thats ultimately how the common enemy gets away with everything.

-Eilish-
by Ron Paul 2012 on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

The Tea Party was never supposed to be about abortion and gay rights. It was anti-gov spending group.

Nighttiger
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Directly from teaparty.org.  Their core values.  You can see gun ownership and "traditional family values" right in their core values.  Typically, traditonal family values incorporates anti abortion and man/woman marriage only. Also, more than 70% of the tea party is Repulican, with 25% independent and 5% Democrats...at least those were the numbers in 2010.  They obviously were not touting a universal stance of anti-gov spending alone.

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs
1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.

2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.

3. A strong military is essential.

4. Special interests must be eliminated.

5. Gun ownership is sacred.

6. Government must be downsized.

7. The national budget must be balanced.

8. Deficit spending must end.

9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.

10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.

11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.

12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.

13. Intrusive government must be stopped.

14. English as our core language is required.

15. Traditional family values are encouraged.
Quoting -Eilish-:

The Tea Party was never supposed to be about abortion and gay rights. It was anti-gov spending group.

-Eilish-
by Ron Paul 2012 on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

1) I said "was supposed to be" not "is now"

2) The Tea Party movement is not actually governed by teaparty.org. The various Tea Parties have hierarchies at the local level, but they are not governed by a national organization. Anyone can purchase a domain name and set themselves up as the "leader," but the tea party is purely grassroots JUST as OWS.

3) What's wrong with gun ownership and traditional values? Even in spite of those differences, we still share a common enemy which is a threat to both entities. We can have differences - that's what makes this country great. What's wrong with joining forces against that common enemy for the sake of being free to have those differences?

Quoting Nighttiger:

Directly from teaparty.org.  Their core values.  You can see gun ownership and "traditional family values" right in their core values.  Typically, traditonal family values incorporates anti abortion and man/woman marriage only. Also, more than 70% of the tea party is Repulican, with 25% independent and 5% Democrats...at least those were the numbers in 2010.  They obviously were not touting a universal stance of anti-gov spending alone.

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs
1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.

2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.

3. A strong military is essential.

4. Special interests must be eliminated.

5. Gun ownership is sacred.

6. Government must be downsized.

7. The national budget must be balanced.

8. Deficit spending must end.

9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.

10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.

11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.

12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.

13. Intrusive government must be stopped.

14. English as our core language is required.

15. Traditional family values are encouraged.
Quoting -Eilish-:

Nighttiger
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Unfortunately what it was supposed to be is not what it turned into.  Its great to have good intentions, but if those with alternative agendas take over your message, then your message becomes diluted and you lose unification.  Thats what happened with the Tea Party movement; they became polarized by the conservatives and started straying from their original message.  I said in another post that if OWS doesn't find a common message and leader soon, they will lose strength.  Someone will take over (teaparty.org) and tell the group what their message is, polarizing the message.

And I really really can not support someone in office who has any agenda in taking away or denying rights of people; to their own bodies or to marry those they love.  If the tea party candidates promised to keep those issues out of the office 100% or didn't get to vote on those issues, they may have my vote.  However, the reality is, social constructs are part of the whole package.  Maybe if we can get 1/2 tea party and 1/2 OWS into office, the social constructs won't be touched, but the message might actually get through.  You are right, we have 1 common enemy, but many ideals that do not match up.  Let the congress split 50/50 and you will at least succeed against the common enemy :)

Quoting -Eilish-:

2) The Tea Party movement is not actually governed by teaparty.org. The various Tea Parties have hierarchies at the local level, but they are not governed by a national organization. Anyone can purchase a domain name and set themselves up as the "leader," but the tea party is purely grassroots JUST as OWS.

3) What's wrong with gun ownership and traditional values? Even in spite of those differences, we still share a common enemy which is a threat to both entities. We can have differences - that's what makes this country great. What's wrong with joining forces against that common enemy for the sake of being free to have those differences?

-Eilish-
by Ron Paul 2012 on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:29 PM

So how about supporting a candidate who believes in individual liberty AND getting rid of the hold that corporations have on America?

Quoting Nighttiger:

Unfortunately what it was supposed to be is not what it turned into.  Its great to have good intentions, but if those with alternative agendas take over your message, then your message becomes diluted and you lose unification.  Thats what happened with the Tea Party movement; they became polarized by the conservatives and started straying from their original message.  I said in another post that if OWS doesn't find a common message and leader soon, they will lose strength.  Someone will take over (teaparty.org) and tell the group what their message is, polarizing the message.

And I really really can not support someone in office who has any agenda in taking away or denying rights of people; to their own bodies or to marry those they love.  If the tea party candidates promised to keep those issues out of the office 100% or didn't get to vote on those issues, they may have my vote.  However, the reality is, social constructs are part of the whole package.  Maybe if we can get 1/2 tea party and 1/2 OWS into office, the social constructs won't be touched, but the message might actually get through.  You are right, we have 1 common enemy, but many ideals that do not match up.  Let the congress split 50/50 and you will at least succeed against the common enemy :)

Quoting -Eilish-:

Nighttiger
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM

This is a better way to look at it right now.  The tea party was sold out to the conservatives.  It just was.  Whether we like it or not. OWS does not want to be sold out to either side. And I'm an independent btw.  I am actually fisically conservative while socially liberal.  I look at all candidates before going into an election and am not affiliated with either.  The tea party just ended up losing focus on their goal and sold out to the conservative movement.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/10/welcome-to-the-ows-99-movement-%E2%80%9Cwe-will-not-be-co-opted%E2%80%9D.html

Quoting -Eilish-:

So how about supporting a candidate who believes in individual liberty AND getting rid of the hold that corporations have on America?

-Eilish-
by Ron Paul 2012 on Nov. 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Again, who cares if they don't agree on everything with you. We don't all have to agree with each other on every issue. But the Tea Party and OWS share enough common ground to get rid of the problem in government. We just need to look past the differences to the crux of the issue. I'm fiscally conservative and socially moderate (socially conservative if you want to talk about my personal beliefs, but I don't let personal beliefs dictate my political beliefs.)

Why not vote for a candidate who doesn't look at the issues as left vs right?

Quoting Nighttiger:

This is a better way to look at it right now.  The tea party was sold out to the conservatives.  It just was.  Whether we like it or not. OWS does not want to be sold out to either side. And I'm an independent btw.  I am actually fisically conservative while socially liberal.  I look at all candidates before going into an election and am not affiliated with either.  The tea party just ended up losing focus on their goal and sold out to the conservative movement.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/10/welcome-to-the-ows-99-movement-%E2%80%9Cwe-will-not-be-co-opted%E2%80%9D.html

Quoting -Eilish-:

1Giovanni
by on Nov. 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep this is what I keep saying. I see that both sides really want the same thing, but they just don't know it. The government and corp wants us to keep fighting so they can keep destorying America. We need to find a middle, if we don't things will get a lot worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)