Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms

Ben and Jerry's donates $300,000 to Occupy Movement for a national office in New York

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

Ben and Jerry's donates $300,000 to Occupy Movement for a national office in New York

Wealthy backers have announced plans to pump $1.8 million into the Occupy Wall Street movement. The Movement Resource Group, comprised of the two founders of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Nirvana's former manager Danny Goldberg, among others, is a not-for-profit 501c3 that has raised $300,000 and aims to distribute it to the protesters in a series of grants.

"Many of us have been working for progressive social change," Ben Cohen told the Wall Street Journal. "There's been a critical ingredient missing."

Representatives from the group met with Occupy Wall Street members on Sunday, and announced the plan to approve national grants of up to $25,000 with the approval of MRG and five OWS members. $150,000 will pay for a national office in New York, another $100,000 will pay for individual, targeted projects, and a smaller, undisclosed sum will be set aside for stipends for "core activists."

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
matreshka
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

That's great!  Unfortunately their ice cream is now owned by Unilever but they do have an independent bard of directors, which is good.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I think this is great. I know that Ben and Jerry's have always been interested in the occupy movement, but it's great that other businesses are getting involved as well.

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I love this.It is great that businesses are starting to back OWS as long a OWS stays independent from the businesses that are supporting them.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I think this is great. I know that Ben and Jerry's have always been interested in the occupy movement, but it's great that other businesses are getting involved as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN