Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Veteran Unemployment May Be Slowing as They Bring Discipline, Broad Range of Skills to Workforce

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

mar 

Veteran Unemployment May Be Slowing as They Bring Discipline, Broad Range of Skills to Workforce

Veteran unemployment in 2011 (12.1%) is up from 2009 and 2010 totals...

It is no secret that veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are having trouble adjusting to the current employment climate. In many cases, it is not so much a question of a skills shortage on the part of returning soldiers as it is a shortcoming of an employment landscape ill-equipped to digest the wide array of skills that military service members offer.

In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, veterans between the ages of 22 and 25 are witnessing unemployment at a rate of 11 percent, nearly three points above the recently calculated national average (this national number is being disputed). Luckily, there are men like Ray Sizer, a former Navy veteran and owner of Levittown-based National Energy Solutions. He has gone out of his way to hire veterans both for the experience they bring to the workplace and because, as he puts it, “It’s just a good thing to do.”

Sizer’s company, which installs energy-efficient commercial lighting structures, currently counts veterans as one fourth of its workforce (3-in-12) with three more returning service members in the pipeline.

“They have already a lot of training for what we’re looking for,” Sizer said. Veterans are also usually well-groomed and used to travel, and, he said, they have clean security backgrounds that make easier arranging their access to security-sensitive job sites such as government facilities, rail yards, and airports. Their immersion in following a chain-of-command structure also helps in dealing with corporate America, Sizer added.

They also have skills essential to the life-on-the-road work that is required of NESI’s installation crews, Antonelli said: “Vets are used to shacking up” with roommates.

The NESI partners have had one unanticipated problem in their quest to hire veterans: finding them.

“I thought it would be easy,” Sizer said. “It’s time-consuming.”

Other companies in Pennsylvania are reaching out to veterans because they tend to be very disciplined employees.

At Conshohocken-based Allied Barton Security Services, 325 military veterans and reservists have been hired since October 2010 through the Employer Partnership of the Armed Forces. Underwritten by the Army Reserve, the program offers a career portal at www.employerpartnership.org and is free for employers and service members. “For many years, we’ve been looking at veterans recruiting, but not really with a fever that we’ve done lately,” said Jerold Ramos, Allied’s manager for talent acquisition. “They come disciplined, they understand discipline, they understand commitment. Those are really important that we look for and use in our service.”

These individual efforts, coupled with institutional initiatives from the Obama administration and the union-funded Helmets to Hardhats program, are having an impact, no doubt. But with the Afghanistan troop draw down in place the need for concerted veteran hiring is only going to grow. 2011 was an abysmal year with veteran unemployment rising above 12 percent.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Wow, I did not know the unemployment rate for veterans was so high.  Do they still offer the GI bill to go to college?

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

As far as I know it is.The republicans are working to get rid of it.Lets hope the house changes hands before they do.Thank goodness the Dem's in the Senate will not let them.

Quoting matreshka:

Wow, I did not know the unemployment rate for veterans was so high.  Do they still offer the GI bill to go to college?

matreshka
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

That's awful!  I really hope that doesn't happen.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

As far as I know it is.The republicans are working to get rid of it.Lets hope the house changes hands before they do.Thank goodness the Dem's in the Senate will not let them.

Quoting matreshka:

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Me to.Republicans are saying the troops are getting enough specialized education in the service.That is not enough.They should be able to get the education they were promised when they enlisted.

Quoting matreshka:

That's awful!  I really hope that doesn't happen.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting matreshka:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I wish them luck, but didn't we all wonder what was going to happen when they returned? It is a shame that the numbers are so high, but it's not a surprise because there aren't the number of jobs that are needed in America.

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Me to.I have a nephew who just left the Marines and went into the Air Force.Jobs are to far and few between for him to not re enlist.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I wish them luck, but didn't we all wonder what was going to happen when they returned? It is a shame that the numbers are so high, but it's not a surprise because there aren't the number of jobs that are needed in America.

matreshka
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM

We the People may have wondered but the gov sure didn't.  for everything they look for the quickest fix.  war is the quickst fix to fight terrorism, and getting some of those in the poorest income bracket to join the armed forces was a quick fix for jobs.

Quoting gludwig2000:

matreshka
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM

So this is how they are keeping enrollment up and avoiding reinstating the draft.  this is heartbreaking.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Me to.I have a nephew who just left the Marines and went into the Air Force.Jobs are to far and few between for him to not re enlist.

Quoting gludwig2000:

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If they would have reinstated the draft we probably would not have went to war because I think there were only 2 congress people who had kids in the military.God forbid their kids would have to fight the wars they want for the military industrial complex!

Quoting matreshka:

So this is how they are keeping enrollment up and avoiding reinstating the draft.  this is heartbreaking.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting gludwig2000:

matreshka
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

In Vietnam weren't all of the politicans kids given cushy appointments to keep them out of the fighting?  It kind of reminds me of the CCR song "Fortunate One" (I think that's what its called, i am so foggy today)

Quoting nanaofsix531:

If they would have reinstated the draft we probably would not have went to war because I think there were only 2 congress people who had kids in the military.God forbid their kids would have to fight the wars they want for the military industrial complex!

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting gludwig2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)