Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms

RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic this summer (updated)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

RIAA and ISPs to police your traffic this summer (updated)

During a panel discussion held for US publishers this week, RIAA chairman Cary Sherman said his association and a number of ISPs—including AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon—will begin policing traffic to crack down on piracy starting this summer.

The deal is not new—the RIAA and the participating ISPs came to this agreement last June. But it has taken time to implement. According to CNET, Sherman explained that "each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system." He gave July 12 as the "start date" for the traffic monitoring to start.

The system involves major labels monitoring BitTorrent and other peer-to-peer networks for copyright infringement, and then reporting that infringement to ISPs, who will monitor their networks for the transgressors.

Then, the ISPs will send goon squads out to capture transgressors and bring them back to the compound for “re-education.”

Just kidding. Sort of.

Once an ISP has determined that you're accessing pirated material, there will be an "Initial Education step" in which customers are informed that they're engaging in an illegal act. A customer may get one or two of these education notices and, if the pirating doesn't stop, they'll be issued another warning. If that doesn't take, the ISP will issue a Mitigation Measure Copyright Alert, which could involve throttling or curtailing the connection, although it won't yet lead to a total cut off. (Here's our rundown on how people can challenge a Mitigation Alert.)

The system still has several holes. Peer-to-peer services will be the most affected here, and materials downloaded using a VPN, downloaded from an obscure torrent site, or downloaded from media portals will likely be unaffected.

Update: The RIAA tells us that Cary Sherman "did not say July 12," as reported by CNET, and that the system will begin sometime in the second quarter of the year as ISPs get their own infrastructure online.

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Many sites are now using mirrors which should prevent dectection.

Personally, I download mp3's from a band I want to check out.  If I like them I will buy their album. mp3s have horrible sound quality and aren't worth the money.

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I buy everything from itunes.DH bought me a ipod years ago.I love it.Love the free podcasts I can get from itunes.Listen to them while shoveling snow and cutting grass.

Quoting matreshka:

Many sites are now using mirrors which should prevent dectection.

Personally, I download mp3's from a band I want to check out.  If I like them I will buy their album. mp3s have horrible sound quality and aren't worth the money.

Daytripn
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If you dig a little deeper into what all this could entail, you will see that this affects facebook, youtube, and  anywhere else you share, copy, or download info, pics, videos, memes, (those cute pics with witty sayings) and music.  It also says it affects 'potentially' copyrighted material, so that can be anything.  Everything you do will be tracked, and up for debate, according to who you offend...  This is blatant censorship under the guise of  piracy prevention.  Those funny pics of the prez or repub candidates, those articles about unjust laws, videos against war, drug companies, Monsanto, poice brutality. It could get ugly for activists, or should I say uglier...

matreshka
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I agree, DH and I have had discussions about putting pics of LO up on FB becuase they could be used in advertisement without our consent.

I also agree with you about the deeper rammifcations of censorship with this, not being able to upload and share protest video or information.

Quoting Daytripn:

If you dig a little deeper into what all this could entail, you will see that this affects facebook, youtube, and  anywhere else you share, copy, or download info, pics, videos, memes, (those cute pics with witty sayings) and music.  It also says it affects 'potentially' copyrighted material, so that can be anything.  Everything you do will be tracked, and up for debate, according to who you offend...  This is blatant censorship under the guise of  piracy prevention.  Those funny pics of the prez or repub candidates, those articles about unjust laws, videos against war, drug companies, Monsanto, poice brutality. It could get ugly for activists, or should I say uglier...

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Homeland security is intent on ruining everyone's life.

Quoting matreshka:

I agree, DH and I have had discussions about putting pics of LO up on FB becuase they could be used in advertisement without our consent.

I also agree with you about the deeper rammifcations of censorship with this, not being able to upload and share protest video or information.

Quoting Daytripn:

lynchburg_mom
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I was flagged by my ISP, I freaked so I started to look into some vpns and I found torguard.net. They're rather inexpensive and you get great service, this was 4 months ago and I haven't been flagged since. It's worth a look.

matreshka
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for letting us know!

Quoting lynchburg_mom:

I was flagged by my ISP, I freaked so I started to look into some vpns and I found torguard.net. They're rather inexpensive and you get great service, this was 4 months ago and I haven't been flagged since. It's worth a look.

nanaofsix531
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thanks.I think I will look into this.

Quoting lynchburg_mom:

Daytripn
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I was shown by a friend the Department of Homeland Security fb page, when you go to their wall, anything you or your friend have posted about DHS, TSA CIA or FBI showes up on their page. It was creepy!    Gon to their page and look on friend activity, you do not have to friend the page for your posts to show up,  Big Brother!!!

meriana
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Well if they start tracking what I do on the computer, they're gonna get really bored really fast. I'm on here, one other site, sometimes,  and FB, everything else has to do with tracking down dead ancestors, actually the most I do on FB is also related to genealogy as I communicate with other distant family members who are also doing research.

For the Dept of Homeland Security..I'd be a real snooze fest. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN