Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 199 Total Views
I'm curious about a few things.

What do you think has been your biggest challenge from being in a mixed culture relationship?

If you've had negative reactions from family, how have you dealt with it?

Where has your most negative reactions come from within your family? And were you surprised?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
liquidvelvet
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

So far we really haven't had any challenges,We live in an area where there are many mixed race relationships. There has been no negative reactions from either side of our families.

wolvesfire
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I am American and my husband is Saudi.  So it is getting used to and trying to live by Saudi culture.  We plan on raising our kids in my husband's culture as they are half-Saudis minus our three adopted kids who are full Saudis.  We came to agreement about that when we got married five years ago.

My husband's family adores and loves me.  My family however are racists and don't like my husband because he is black, Saudi, and Muslim.  They don't like non-white people and they all think I should go back to Christianity and divorce my husband-especially my father.  My husband was treated like a dog on X-mas 2009 because he wasn't allowed to even get out of the car so he was forced to go to a hotel because my mom and step father didn't want a "nigger" in the house.  Because of that we are never letting my family see our children.

I can't say that I am surprised by my family's reaction to my husband being black.  They make it known that they hate blacks.  Lucky for me my two sisters (22 and 12) don't mind black people.  My 9 year old brother however is racist and says he isn't related to 'some damn nigger'. 

ms-superwoman
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

What do you think has been your biggest challenge from being in a mixed culture relationship?

My biggest challenge being in a mixed relationship was my families belief in ever stereotype.

If you've had negative reactions from family, how have you dealt with it?

My family disowned me when they found out I was pregnant.

Where has your most negative reactions come from within your family? And were you surprised?

My grandfather and uncles had a horrible reaction, I was not surprised because they had told me my whole life what a whore I was, etc.

iheartmiboys
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

What do you think has been your biggest challenge from being in a mixed culture relationship? First,  it was  acceptance from his family Second, it was how we can blend our cultures and backgrounds to have common ground to raise our family.

If you've had negative reactions from family, how have you dealt with it? I come from a close net family where all we have is each other. I know them very well and will give the time they need to understand it and accept it. thats it 

Where has your most negative reactions come from within your family? And were you surprised? well it was from my husbands family and they were more upset at their son. for not telling them anything. pretty much they found we were married and having a baby all in the same week. they were disappointed. but they came around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)