Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Troubles With Kids?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 162 Total Views
Has anyone ever had troubles with their kids being bi-racial? Whether it's in school, friends/family, strangers? If so what was it and how did you deal with it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MomTiara19
by on May. 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Hi,

I am aa and my husband is Italian.My daughter is 12 and my son is 20.Overall we havent had much of any problems with friends and society.I am sure some people are against our union but their opinion does not impact our lives and family in any way I notice.

I have however had alot of issues with my mil and some of my inlaws.They wont admit being prejudice but I feel it is racially charged negativity.Their behavior has most definitely affected my marriage and kids at times.Yet my dh and I have been married over 12 years and together longer.You would think they would get over it.....my skin tone will never change....yet I guess old views dont either...lol...

How we have handeld inlaw issues is to basically ignore them.We pull away from the ignorance and drama as needed.They see our kids and we maintain a cordial relationship.Its not warm and fuzzy....but doable and working.My dh and our top priority and concern was and is to protect our children and marriage.

At the end of the day it is about us and our nuclear family.If they want to be apart of our lives fantastic,if not...theres the door.

My kids have grown up very happy:).They have no issues about being mixed race(I truelly mean that).Contrary to most beliefs...my kids feel being mixed gives them advantages...not disadvantages.They feel they can get along with and fit in with all races.They have typical issues and challenges like any and all other kids.

Both my kids are very popular.Noone excludes them because they are biracial.My kids say most people dont know what race they are....and therefore fitting in most everywhere.My son an athlete and taking courses,my daughter is very smart and an honor student.

~Im a proud wifey and momma:)

~Tia

ms-superwoman
by on May. 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM
That's great! My story is not so happy. I've had little comments from strangers. I live in a very small "white" hillbilly town. Those never really affected me. My son is only two so he could care less. Lol The real problem I've had is family. I come from a very racist family. Grew up hearing all kinds of things. Mostly untrue crap. When I became pregnant with my son it was like a free for all for them. In their words, I'd be better off dead than have a black baby. At that point I was done. I'd rather not be surrounded with negative people. I haven't seen or talked to most of my family in over two years.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Hi,

I am aa and my husband is Italian.My daughter is 12 and my son is 20.Overall we havent had much of any problems with friends and society.I am sure some people are against our union but their opinion does not impact our lives and family in any way I notice.

I have however had alot of issues with my mil and some of my inlaws.They wont admit being prejudice but I feel it is racially charged negativity.Their behavior has most definitely affected my marriage and kids at times.Yet my dh and I have been married over 12 years and together longer.You would think they would get over it.....my skin tone will never change....yet I guess old views dont either...lol...

How we have handeld inlaw issues is to basically ignore them.We pull away from the ignorance and drama as needed.They see our kids and we maintain a cordial relationship.Its not warm and fuzzy....but doable and working.My dh and our top priority and concern was and is to protect our children and marriage.

At the end of the day it is about us and our nuclear family.If they want to be apart of our lives fantastic,if not...theres the door.

My kids have grown up very happy:).They have no issues about being mixed race(I truelly mean that).Contrary to most beliefs...my kids feel being mixed gives them advantages...not disadvantages.They feel they can get along with and fit in with all races.They have typical issues and challenges like any and all other kids.

Both my kids are very popular.Noone excludes them because they are biracial.My kids say most people dont know what race they are....and therefore fitting in most everywhere.My son an athlete and taking courses,my daughter is very smart and an honor student.

~Im a proud wifey and momma:)

~Tia

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)