Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 215 Total Views

Does anyone unschool? How do you do it?

We are kind of doing it with the kids. but since they are in private school right now, it's more like a mix. I really like unschooling ( I unschooled my entire high school education) but I want some structure when they are this young ( 4 & 3).

by on Nov. 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amy585
by Member on Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this

we don't fully unschool, but we are flexible. I teach reading, writing, math, and science by doing. history i weave into whatever books we are reading, of the sabbats that are coming up. the girls get to choose what we learn about to a great extent. we take a lot of trips. they learn geography, history and survival skills in the trips :). we school year round, more or less.

bashfull_77
by Group Admin on Dec. 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Eco_Momma how did you unschool your entire high school education? I have a 9th grader and I would love to know. I am struggling with her this year and actually thinking about letting her get her GED when she is old enough. Thanks any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Eco_Momma
by Group Owner on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM

My parents used Alpha Omega ( christian curriculum) and I picked Home Ec and English to continue with them. I learned history ( which is my passion) by joining re-enactment groups , I traveled all over MI , VA and PA re-enacting. I also took classes in Equine Health via correspondence. What is your daughter interested in?  I read everything and anything I could get my hands on. I worked at a Horse Rescue ( my goal at the time was to be a stable manager for a race track). I "graduated" at 19 and worked/traveled and went to trade school before I decided to go to college. I never got my GED and was to cheap to by a diploma. lol 

Meant2bemom
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
We unschool here! But we are not radical as some would say. We follow our boys leads and go from there!

hockeyAmySue

wrensong
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

We unschool.  At home I have a 12 yr old son, a 10 yr old son, a 5 yr old special needs daughter and a 3 yr old son..

My older boys have a huge library of both educational and recreational books as well as their own e reader (one has a kindle the other has a nook)

They are encouraged to study what they are curious about. My 10 yr old son is interested in baking and so we do a lot of cooking and baking and he has learned most of his math this way.  I like to say the world is our class room. A trip to the store can be as educating as a day in the class room.

The boys also have a computer with internet access, but I am really careful what sites they go to and how much time they spend online.

Meant2bemom
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Wrensong....I say the same thing...the world is our classroom. We are always learning...anytime anywhere!!!,

hockeyAmySue

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN