Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why is it so freaking hard

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

to find a non-christian home school group? I realize that everyone here is mormon but COME ON! I'm so ticked right now! I just want a nice happy secular home school group!

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bashfull_77
by Group Admin on Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I know what you mean. Well everyone here is not Mormon but they are Christian. I did find a great group I would love to join but it is 2 hours away and there is no way I could drive that far to meet with them but If I could I would love too. They do lots of cool stuff every week. They are really involved with there kids. They even have a teen scene every week.

sha_lyn68
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM

On yes, been there, done that, have the T-Shirt...LOL

Even back when we first started homeschooling, I still considered myself to be a Christian, and I wouldn't/couldn't join any of the HS groups around here. Many required regular attendance and some even required a letter from the pastor at a specific denomination. Even the ones that were more open and accepting required statements of faith that I was not comfortable signing. What really got me rolling were the ones that thought that different Christian denominations were different religions. They would say things like: "We are an inclusive group. We accept those of all faiths such as Methodist, Baptist or Pentecostal. We do not accept members of cults such as Mormons or Jehovah's Witness".

Now, 10 yrs later there are many secular and non-Christian groups out there. Sometimes you have to take the plunge yourself and start a group. I suggest using Yahoo groups and spreading the word though the pagan community around you.

Bear with me, I have a long but funny story about finding the right HS group and paganism. The one liner is "A burning church led me to being Wiccan."

About 1/2 through our first yr of homeschooling I had given up on finding a group for us. It was getting to the point I was considering putting DS back in PS due to lack of friends. One rainy day we took off of school and were out running errands. While at a Petsmart, DS was looking at the reptiles while DD and I were getting pet supplies. I walked up to DS to find him talking to a boy about his age. The 2 had been talking and found out that they were both homeschooled. The other boys mother came up a few min later and we began to talk. Our conversation turned to local groups and how neither one of us would join one. Eventually she ask straight up if I was accepting of Pagans. When I told her yes, she invited us to a playdate with the new pagan homeschool group she started. Turns out that she was originally headed to a playdate at someones home (had been moved because of the rain) but she couldn't get there because the road was closed due to a church fire.

A few days later we attended a park day. That was 10 yrs ago come the end of Feb and some of the families we met that day are our closest friends a decade later.

So on to how it led me to become Wiccan: A few months later the husband of one of the mothers I met that day opened a martial arts studio just down the road from us. I took the kids for a free class and they were hooked. A few weeks later a conversation about music led to me discovering that the mother of a girl in my son's class was a singer in a pagan band. I looked her band up online and a few days later told her how much I enjoyed the music. That led to her inviting me to a ritual.

While the found of the group has long moved on, the group still exists and is bigger than ever.

mslksdh
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM

It's the same here, most of the pagan home-school groups are really far from me or require a large commitment. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN