Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food and Nutrition

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 104 Total Views

FOOD AND NUTRITION

It is hard for me to share recipes without sharing information on the foods we eat and nutrition.  Off and on over the years I have studied nutrition.  At first it was in an effort to provide the best quality of food for the least amount of money.  I had a growing family and was living on a budget and needed to make both of these work together.  Then later it also became a means of improving my families health and now it is all of these plus a desire to eat food that is closer to the way God has created it for us and for our bodies.  Not long ago I read the book Sugar Blues by William Dufty and it was such an eye opener for me.  I realized that we were a society that has gotten about as far away from the natural state of the food that God has created as we can get.  We have refined and removed most of the original value of foods and added sugars and chemicals and colorings until what we have now is, in my opinion, hardly even real food.  In the last couple of years I have worked to get away from refined white sugar and refined grains, chemicals and food colors and things I can’t even pronounce on food labels.  I cannot begin to say how many good things have resulted in our general well being and health.  It has made me want to continue on this journey of improving our health.

The information I share here is simply from my own reading over the years and research I have done (in books and online) to improve my own family's health. The internet if packed full of information concerning health and I highly recommend taking the time to research and learn more for your family's health benefit as well.

I have many recipes here in this section to help you feed your family in a nutritious way while also being mindful of the budget.  I have heard that you can't feed a family healthy food on a budget.  I disagree with this and have lots of information here to help you feed your family healthy foods on a budget.  I agree that many aspects of health food today are out of my budget, but there is also a huge portion of a healthy diet that is within a reasonable budget and those are the foods I focus on.  I have tried to take the most inexpensive types of basic foods and create meals for my family everyday that stay within my budget. The recipes that we enjoy are the ones I am sharing here with you!  All the recipes I share are first tried and tested by my family.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Shellness
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I disagree about feeding your family healthy on a budget too (it is just as easy to buy a $3 bag of apples as it is a $3 bag of chips). I just shake my head when people say they can't afford fruits and veggies. How much is a dried bag of beans and a bag of brown rice? Frozen veggies are cheap!

This is my rule of thumb. If God grew it, its gonna be good for you to eat! God did not make little debbie cakes and did not refine natural sugar until it is white and powdery! I don't go heavily into the meat department either. Look at our teeth. God made them for eating veggies and fruit, not for tearing apart meat! God knew what he was doing, its up to us to follow his example. It tastes better too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)