Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOMEMAKING and HOME MANAGEMENT

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 140 Total Views
1 mom liked this

After 8 children I have learned a few things to keep my house under control, managed and reasonably clean.  It is not perfect, but it is not chaos by any means.  Perhaps some of my methods will give you some ideas on managing your home. Everyone has different situations, so my ways will not work for everyone, but they might inspire you with ideas that will work for you!

Homemaking Organization, Tips and Recipes and More!

Organizing the Housework

One method that I have used for a long time now is to break my house up into work areas and then assign a child to that area. I then spend time teaching the child how to do the job properly and have then stay in that area until the job is mastered. Then the children rotate jobs.

My work areas are:

The Floors and Table - we have lots of traffic so the floors are a big job. They need to be swept, vacuumed, and mopped several times a day. The table needs to be cleared and washed after meals

The Kitchen - clean up after meals, loading and unloading the dishwasher which we run 3 to 4 times a day, cleaning the sink and counters and keeping a tidy and neat appearance. This is a huge job in my house so there are 2 children usually assigned to this.

Clutter Control - There seems to be two or three areas that tend to collect clutter constantly. If it is not managed the clutter is just moved from one of those spots to the next to the next. So someone is responsible to deal PROPERLY with the clutter.

The Living Room - keep it vacuumed and neat looking. My living room is not a play area. I have a sunroom off the dining room where I use to keep the toys for my kids.  Now my children are older and toys are not much of as much of an issue.  They need to respect the living room and keep in orderly.  It is nice to have one area of the home that is orderly on a regular basis. 

Basement - We have a family room/music room in our basement where the children spend a good deal of time so that needs to be cleaned up and cared for. Our wood furnace is in the basement and there is always a mess from wood being brought in and ash from the furnace. The barn boots, chore coats and overalls for the animal chores are in the basement as well. So the mud and dirt that is tracked in and around the basement needs to be vacuumed and cleaned up regularly.

Bathroom- We have one bathroom, yes just one! Somehow we have managed just fine with one bathroom, but it gets a lot of use each day and needs a thorough cleaning each day.

Dining Room and Sun Room- sweep, vacuum and wash floors, help the younger children keep their toys in order, if necessary.

Bedrooms- my 5 children now at home are divided into 4 bedrooms. The children are responsible for their own rooms. Either my hubby or I regularly make bedroom inspections to make sure they are keeping their rooms clean and in order.

Many of these jobs overlap, such as clutter control and dining room (this is one area that has a major clutter spot). Each child is also still responsible for their own messes, I don't allow them to expect that the person in charge of an area will clean up after them.

by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
busymom212
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for sharing...

homeskoolmama
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Organization is key with a large family, so is everyone having a job to do.

FamilyFun2
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Yes I agree

plclemo
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I don't think it matters if your family is big or small.  Organization is what it takes to keep any family running smoothly.  We only have 3 (and a dog) and I MUST be organized or things don't get done and things get lost.

irishblarney11
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM

thanks for sharing

Shellness
by Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Sounds like a great family :)

Mine is no longer that large. We are down to 3 children at home and 2 of those have one foot out the door. You are more organized than I was but like you, I have to have a basically tidy house. I couldn't stand it otherwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)