Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Matters...

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 128 Total Views

My husband and I are not pregnant yet, but this will not be my first or second go around.  I want to know and research all my options before getting pregnant.  Homebirth is what I really want to do for me, but my husband doesn't think any of the labor and especially the delivery should be done in a hospital. 

When it comes to giving birth to my children they come quickly and easy.  The first one I had an epidural and hospital birth, it was awful, the recovery was even worse.  The second one was born in a hospital but without any painkillers, the doctor was a midwife/missionary before, the labor was difficult but the recovery was much faster.  They are now 11 and 10 years old. 

I am remarried as of October 12, 2011. We have decided to add our babies to the two I have and the two he has.  They are 12, 11, 10, and 2. 

I don't trust the local hospitals and the other free standing birth center is located 45 minutes away. The only reason this makes me nervous to travel is my other labors were only 4 and 2 hours. 

How do I convince my family that I am capable of having the babies at home?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ragdoll13
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
You wont be able to convince everyone .
We tossed around the home birth ideas and noticed our families' reactions. My family is absolutely terrified of anything besides hospital birth because my step mom is a L&D nurse. We triedc answering all of their questions honestly and with the research. But they are still negative. DH family took the idea quite well and are very interested and open. Except his grandma. So again it just came down to seeing everyone's reactions. You can't change everyone's minds, and its hard when you know in your research and gut feelings that homebirth is the right choice.
Unfortunately since my family is still negative, even tho some are more quiet about than others, they think we're going to a birth center which they still don't like.
So we've learned to take support where we can get it, and ignore/avoid the negative where possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmygrndhg
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Watch the documentary "The Business of Being Born" (It's on Netflix) and arm yourself with the info and statistics.  I shared all that info with my dh and convinced him.  We had our first homebirth baby on April 19.  Now he tells anyone who will listen how great it was!  He got to catch baby and cut the cord.  He was on cloud nine!  Our labor was very short (3 hrs) and in the middle of the night.  It would have been such a hassle to get the kids over to my friends house or have someone come over to stay while he drove me to the hospital...baby may have even been born in the car for that matter (it happened so fast!).  Comparing all our 4 previous births, this was by far the best!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)