Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wendigo

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1132 Total Views
1 mom liked this

The Wendigo is a man-like beast resembling the characterizations of the popular zombies that appear in many horror stories these days. common features of this creature include a skeleton-like body with the bones pushing out on its dried out ash gray skin, much like that of a corpse. It is said to have sunken eyes, if not glowing hollow sockets, and its dried lips are bloody. They have sharp yellowish fangs and long slimy tongues.

Foul odor that resembles a stinking carcass in the advanced stages of decomposition

Basically, the story of the Wendigo serves as vital part in the culture and the tradition of the tribes that inhabit the mountain ranges and the forests of the northern United States and Canada. These tribes include the Ojibwa or Saulteaux, the Cree, and the Innu, Naskapi, and the Montagnais. The Wendigo is a man-like beast resembling the characterizations of the popular zombies that appear in many horror stories these days. According to the stories of the Algonquin people, the Wendigo is a malevolent cannibalistic creature that can possess human bodies. Based on the legends, people who indulge in cannibalism are highly at risk for becoming Wendigo.

Wendigos are referred to using a variety of names. These include Windigo, Windago, Windiga, Witiko, Wee-tee-go, Wihtikow, among other variants. As for its appearance, it seems that Wendigos have various forms as well. According to one tribe, the Wendigo appears to have a size of a human being, and it can only be seen if you come across it, face-to face. Because it was very thin, seeing the beast from the side will be entirely impossible. However, other stories claim that the Wendigos are not at all paper thin. Instead, they are giant spirits, with an estimated height of at least fifteen feet tall.

The variation in the said height can be linked to another variant of the story where it is said that the beast will grow larger each time it devours human flesh- the accumulated additional size each time proportionate to the devoured flesh. Despite the variation in size however, common features of this creature include a skeleton-like body with the bones pushing out on its dried out ash gray skin, much like that of a corpse. It is said to have sunken eyes, if not glowing hollow sockets, and its dried lips are bloody. They have sharp yellowish fangs and long slimy tongues. Wendigos are also said to give off a foul odor that resembles a stinking carcass in the advanced stages of decomposition.

Based on the tribal stories, the Wendigos have a voracious appetite for human flesh. They are never full. Despite having a fresh flesh feast, they will continuously look for another victim, and another. The beasts are said to lurk the forests especially during the winter period or during times of famine. Some sightings of a mysterious shadowy creature have been reported in the forests of the northern regions of Minnesota. Tribes often attribute the loss of their hunters and forest dwellers to the gluttonous characteristic of the Wendigos

by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsbrimer
by Alayna on Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

i googled imaged this and im pretty sure its a creature from world of warcraft LOL i used to play WoW when i was like 17-20 and i was addicted for those 3 years.

but i didnt really know it was a mythological creature like this. just the images that were popping up were from the game. it was weird. i also saw some other really creepy pics. i am gonna post some

dragonfly750
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Ever watch the Stephen King movie Pet Sematary, or read the book? They talk about in both the book and the movie, more in the book.
Ihereainti
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Creepy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly750
by Group Admin on Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

LivinDeadGurl
Not feeling well today. Just want to curl up and sleep.
Yesterday at 5:29 PM
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM

These are some creepy creatures. They also did a Supernatural episode on them.

dragonfly750
by Group Admin on Mar. 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM

You are right, they did. They did an episode of Haven about them too.

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

These are some creepy creatures. They also did a Supernatural episode on them.

Austinsmom35
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM
The images I've seen are more werwolfy. I enjoy reading about things like this! In our area I have never heard of a windigo.
Austinsmom35
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Quoting dragonfly750:

And early episodes of Charmed!
dragonfly750
by Group Admin on Mar. 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Oh that's right. I had forgotten about Charmed.

Quoting Austinsmom35:

Quoting dragonfly750:

And early episodes of Charmed!

nicole1319
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

this is the Wendigo from Charmed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)