Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep Paralysis

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 284 Total Views

I've suffered from sleep paralysis since I was a kid. I wake up completely unable to move. Sometimes it feels like something is on my chest smothering me, other times it feels like it's choking me. I have visual and auditory hallucinations and sometime even feel like I'm being shocked. There is always a sense of indescribable evil. I know I'm awake though because I can see and hear everything around me and recount conversations or actions perfectly.

I've researched this and know all the scientific and paranormal theories, from interrupted REM cycles to astral travel/OBEs to demonic or spiritual attack. I was just wondering if any of you have also experienced this and your theories on it.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dragonfly750
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have not experienced this exactly, but I have experienced something that seems similar to me. I wake up with the feeling that something is pulling my legs or sitting on my legs. I cancome fully awake and the sensation is still there. I can never see anything. I am not sure what it is is, but I can tell you that it's frightening.

I have had people tell me that it's something that I experience in a dream. But to me, it doesn't seem like that. It seems like some sort of attack to me. Not neccessarily physical, maybe spiritial. I can't be sure.

DeannaLeigh79
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I have also (along with my sisters) have suffered from sleep paralysis my whole life. I have studied it and for what I understand,the answer that sounds the most logical to me is this: when you fall into a deep sleep,your whole body goes to sleep, literally. Like when your foot or hand ones numb wi ones and needles, well, it's like that.

Anyways, also in a deep sleep our breathing is very shallow and slow. If we were awake if would be difficulty breathe and it's scary.

So when we fall asleep sometimes our minds wake up before our bodies and we can't move because our whole body's asleep, and the feeling of not breathing is from the shallow breathing process our bodies go through when we are in REM sleep. It's quite terrifying and I hate it who It happens.

So does that rambling make any sense? Haha!
mrsbrimer
by Alayna on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

i have not experienced it myself, but my husband actually experienced it for the first time a few months ago when we moved into our new house.

it was weird, he was sleeping next to me and i was still awake, all of a sudden he woke up and was just staring at me, i was worried, then a few seconds later he starts breathing all heavy and freaking out really scared telling me that he could see me but he couldnt talk or move and he was trying to call  my name and reach out for me but couldnt.

he was literally scared, and my hubby doesnt get scared. i had to like hold him for him to fall back asleep. poor guy. it hasnt happened again

Time_Lady
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I know what you're talking about & it makes perfect sense. The body's paralysed in sleep so we don't act out our dreams and with sleep paralyses it goes awry - kind of the flip side of sleepwalking. Rationally, I know this. When it's happening and right after though - emotionally it's harder to accept. The really interesting and creepy part for me is that it's been chronicled throughout history and across cultures, and it's always the same type of hallucinations and experiences, even back when we didn't have the global cultural awareness we do now. Most of these types of things have differences to account for the native beliefs, like with schizophrenia - with ancestor worship they may believe they are being possessed by the spirit of an ancestor, catholicism - a demon, atheist - aliens are taking over their body. The experiences with sleep paralysis are constant.

Quoting DeannaLeigh79:

I have also (along with my sisters) have suffered from sleep paralysis my whole life. I have studied it and for what I understand,the answer that sounds the most logical to me is this: when you fall into a deep sleep,your whole body goes to sleep, literally. Like when your foot or hand ones numb wi ones and needles, well, it's like that.

Anyways, also in a deep sleep our breathing is very shallow and slow. If we were awake if would be difficulty breathe and it's scary.

So when we fall asleep sometimes our minds wake up before our bodies and we can't move because our whole body's asleep, and the feeling of not breathing is from the shallow breathing process our bodies go through when we are in REM sleep. It's quite terrifying and I hate it who It happens.

So does that rambling make any sense? Haha!

alf2651
by Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM

My husband has sleep paralysis often. It happens more when he's stressed out or exhausted. Sometimes it takes hours for him to snap out of it. 

RoseBlossom
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

this has happened to me and the only word i can ever say out loud is 'Jesus' and instantly its lifted and i can speak and talk. ive tried all sorts of other things, and it never goes away but i say His name and its gone.

evensmummy
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Yes, Ma'am! I don't believe much in demons, and I don't think that mine particularly have much to do with anything too supernatural. I have had it from the time I was little, but it got much worse after I was molested as a preteen. From what I have experienced in my occurrences, and what I have read, I am going with the traumatic life/death/birth experience. I know that some believe that these can be brought on when one suffers a near death experience. When I was about three, I almost died by wrapping a chain my Daddy had outside around my neck. He found me unconsious and blue (his words), but was able to get me breathing again fairly easily. I, of course, have no consious memory of it, but apparently your subconcious retains the memory of almost dying. At least that is my theory of what set them off. The only other time I even came close to dying was a car wreck at 16, but I wasn't injured nearly as badly as I could have been.. (think I already posted about that wreck), and it was also after these episodes started. The only other theory that would seem right to me, because of how early these episodes started in my life, would be the birth theory. I have no idea if it is called that, but that is what I call it. Apparently, it is your subconscious remembering your own birth.. Pretty freaky, right? I also think that it could be caused by different things for different people. 

cassie19831
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I have had many of these. I suffer from epilepsy so I'm not sure if it's related. I had a lot of this as a teenager and went on Klonopin to control both seizures and help my anxiety for my heart condition. Then I stopped having them. I am in poor health so I never know if it was that or what why I had it. It is absolutely horrible. I always felt there was something evil there. While I have heard it is scieticfically explained to be honest I had a very difficult childhood and when I was having this happen I was in a home I now believe was haunted. I often wonder if it was more my poor mental health or whatever was in that house.

TarotMommy
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM
What I believe you experience is called Astral Catalepsy. Usually our spirit slips in and out of our body during sleep easily. However, occasionally our conscious mind catches this happening and puts the body on full alert. It tells the body we must be dying so the body goes into panic mode. A whole series of physiological and neurological short circuts occur like, paralysis, loss of senses, inability to cry out or even breathe. When the conscious mind realizes that our spirit is fine in our body the dying signals turn off and the whole freaky, scary experience is over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)