Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Estropia caused by muscle weakness

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 140 Total Views

I have been dealing with DD1's eye for years but just recently was sent to a Pediatric Eye Center because our regular eye doctor said he could no longer help her and she needed more. Her esotropia is caused by weak muscles so we're facing surgery. They thought her weak muscles had caused anomalous correspondence and she had it bad. They couldn't do the surgery until the anomalous correspondence got better. If we went straight for surgery they said there would be a great chance she'd have permanent double vision.

Now they don't think she has the correspondence because her tests aren't conclusive. We have been patching her good eye two hours a day for the last couple weeks. Her vision is showing improvement in the bad eye so we are looking at going in for a surgical consult in about a month. They want to see her in 3 weeks to do another vision exam to see if her bad eye is continuing to get better.

I'm hoping she doesn't have the anomalous correspondence because if she turns out to have it that means about a yr of vision therapy before she'll be able to have the surgery done.

Anyone else have this problem with their child?

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
BEXi
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Hello! Elijah's Amblyopia (aka lazy eye) is caused by visual stimulation poorly transmitting through the optic nerve to the brain. We started patching 2-3 hours a day, but then the Opthamologist wanted us to do it 24/7 for 3 weeks. And this poor 3 year old is stubborn about it too. :\ I know exactly what he goes through though, I have it as well but I was diagnosed at a later age where the success rate of vision improvement is very low.

I'm hoping your daughter doesnt have the anomalous correspondence either!! I am hoping for the best!

kiaras_mommy
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Oh bless his heart. :(

If dd has the anomalous correspondence she'll be patched 24/7 for about a year and we'd be going to the eye doctor once a week for therapy.

They are unsure though because her tests come up she has it, they retest and the test is negative, then positive, then negative again. They don't know for sure. She is 5 so they said it's difficult to know for sure cause the test is based on what she tells them and when a 5 yr old is going through extensive testing they can get bored and just start giving bs answers.

If they treat her for the correspondense and she doesn't have it it can cause permanent double vision, if they do surgery now and she has anomalous correspondence that wasn't treated prior it can cause permanent double vision. So they want to make 100% sure before we proceed in either direction.

Quoting BEXi:

Hello! Elijah's Amblyopia (aka lazy eye) is caused by visual stimulation poorly transmitting through the optic nerve to the brain. We started patching 2-3 hours a day, but then the Opthamologist wanted us to do it 24/7 for 3 weeks. And this poor 3 year old is stubborn about it too. :\ I know exactly what he goes through though, I have it as well but I was diagnosed at a later age where the success rate of vision improvement is very low.

I'm hoping your daughter doesnt have the anomalous correspondence either!! I am hoping for the best!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)