Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scared of a different routine-sorta

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 117 Total Views

Last week my son was late to school-not too late but the bell had rang and the kids were standing up for the pledge and the announcements. I never realized how much it might look different to him not being in the classroom when everyone is standing up. He sits next to the teacher's assistant (his teachers are awesome and work well with him without babying him like I would want to) Anyway-that's all the way into the classroom.

We got outside of his classroom and he saw all the kids standing up and totally balked about going in there-I was pushing him inside and he was backing out and I kept telling him you are late you need to get in there and he just started crying (I felt so bad but I just didn't get it at first), so I pulled him aside and sat outside the classroom at a table they had out there and held him on my lap and asked him what was wrong? and he said that;s the wrong group (i guess he was trying to say wrong classroom) I kept saying no that;s your classroom they are just standing up. Finally I got him calmed down and told him let's walk inside together and you will see it;s your classmates.

So I walked him in there holding his hand until we got to his teachers assistant and she asked him what did he want for lunch, at first he cowered behind me (and this is not my sons behavior normally) one of his little friends even said hi, and I told him look there;'s your friend, she's saying hi and there's mrs boggs and there's your teacher, and mrs, boggs asked him again-real gentle and finally he answered her and started to calm down and become more nornal and then I left.

I felt like such a horrible mother but I just didn't think about how it would look for him? has anyone else had those type of moments where you just don't realize what their vision can do to them? I mean  I wear glasses and have since I was in 2nd grade (bi-focals no less) and actually my vision has gotten better as I got older (I wore contacts most of the time since 8th grade) and am blind as a bat far away when I don't have my glasses/contacts on/in. 

He's inherited the bad eyes from me and my dads side-my dad had a mild case of nystagmis (especially compared to my son) and hes been blind twice (maybe situational or something) but he has always had bad eyes worse than me.He had scarlet fever as a kid and his grandmother took him outside and it burned his retena's and he had polio as a kid too-so some of his eye problems are from that I believe but still my dad understands a little of what my son is going through (he's the one that suggested getting disabiltiy for him)

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
BEXi
by Group Owner on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Awe poor kiddo.. I can understand why he was confused. :\

Elijah has Amblyopia, basically he's got perfect vision in his left eye, but his right eye is blurry (he got it from me as well!). It's hard to tell he has it. The only thing that set me off about it was his weaker eye turned in when he was focusing on something. My weak eye never turned at all, so I wasnt diagnosed til I was much older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN