Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Wear Extensions?

Posted by (Group Admin) on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

if so, do you do them youself? I'm kind of interested. I've done wraps, but would like something longer-term that wouldn't tangle in my hair. I sometimes braid in ribbons into my hair to protect it and give weight.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alwaysmotivated Carlene :)
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I wish I had advice but no extensions here..So you definitely dont want to glue in definitely will tangle..How does the ribbons protect your hair?Im curious..my momma always told me ask to many questions,lol...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4reel
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

No extensions here but I will throw a wig on. 80s blue  Tell me more about the ribbon.  I heard about yarn.

abusednotbroken Group Admin
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I just wanted to braid it in, but curious whether anyone had done it. I used yarn before, but it kind of tangles in the hair. I did watch a lady on youtube that said to use acrylic yarn. Maybe I used the wrong kind. The ribbons I used were not shiny, but because braiding is essentially wrapping the hair around each other piece or whatever else is in it, it's like a covering for the hair.

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

I wish I had advice but no extensions here..So you definitely dont want to glue in definitely will tangle..How does the ribbons protect your hair?Im curious..my momma always told me ask to many questions,lol...

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

the squeaky wheel gets the grease =)

Quoting Alwaysmotivated:

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I used yarn before, but it kind of tangles in the hair. I did watch a lady on youtube that said to use acrylic yarn. Maybe I used the wrong kind. The ribbons I used were not shiny and were long. I used them for a huge braid and when my hair stopped, I kept braiding those pieces and then twisted it all up into a braid. I like the yarn idea, but I'll have to check into the acrylic kind.

Quoting 4reel:

No extensions here but I will throw a wig on. 80s blue  Tell me more about the ribbon.  I heard about yarn.

4reel
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I would love to hear more bout the ribbon idea.......uhhhh just to be certain are we talking about africa american hair, lol  Don't get my hopes up,lol

Quoting abusednotbroken:

I used yarn before, but it kind of tangles in the hair. I did watch a lady on youtube that said to use acrylic yarn. Maybe I used the wrong kind. The ribbons I used were not shiny and were long. I used them for a huge braid and when my hair stopped, I kept braiding those pieces and then twisted it all up into a braid. I like the yarn idea, but I'll have to check into the acrylic kind.

Quoting 4reel:

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The nice thing about wigs is that your hair can be done in a few minutes. I knew a lady that didn't have to wash her hair about once a week. She had perfect skin too lol. Anyway, she'd keep it up in a ponytail and pin curl it under. Bangs and hair on the side were curled in a similar way. When she went out, she'd just undo her hair and it fell into place. She also wore waterproof mascara for a week at a time and she didn't need any other makeup. My skin and hair are so oily that I couldn't get away with that. Plus, with this heat, I can't bear to have my hair down anyway lol. Anyway, guess I'm just fussing. I just like the concept of being ready without a ton of effort haha and well, still looking good. How in the world did people in the 50s and before get away with washing their hair once every two weeks? I've heard that the hair will adjust to less washings....

Quoting 4reel:

4reel
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I  agree with ya.  I want to as low maint. as possible.  I too have oily skin and could not do it successfully,lol or gracefully.  The wig does cut down on washing the hair.....I say it is my 911 emergency hair.

Quoting abusednotbroken:

The nice thing about wigs is that your hair can be done in a few minutes. I knew a lady that didn't have to wash her hair about once a week. She had perfect skin too lol. Anyway, she'd keep it up in a ponytail and pin curl it under. Bangs and hair on the side were curled in a similar way. When she went out, she'd just undo her hair and it fell into place. She also wore waterproof mascara for a week at a time and she didn't need any other makeup. My skin and hair are so oily that I couldn't get away with that. Plus, with this heat, I can't bear to have my hair down anyway lol. Anyway, guess I'm just fussing. I just like the concept of being ready without a ton of effort haha and well, still looking good. How in the world did people in the 50s and before get away with washing their hair once every two weeks? I've heard that the hair will adjust to less washings....

Quoting 4reel:

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That's a good point. I just feel like my head would be so hot, but I guess as you said-- 911 emergency hair. Can't wait until the winter time.

Quoting 4reel:

I  agree with ya.  I want to as low maint. as possible.  I too have oily skin and could not do it successfully,lol or gracefully.  The wig does cut down on washing the hair.....I say it is my 911 emergency hair.

Quoting abusednotbroken:

Quoting 4reel:

Alwaysmotivated Carlene :)
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM
where have I been, I have never heard of yarn..hmmmmm

Quoting 4reel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)