Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Soar Dispenser

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 112 Total Views

mason jar soap

After it was so easy to make a Mason jar pendant light, I was inspired to make something that takes just about the same amount of time and technique: a Mason Jar Soap Dispenser.

You probably already have Mason jars in your home, they make such a great container to store all kinds of things. If you have the Mason jar on hand, you wil only need a few other items.

This adorable soap dispenser can be made in minutes and it’s a dispenser that could be used to put your dish detergent, hand soap or lotion. Additionally, by adding a few creative elements, you could even gift this to a friend or family member. 

Make sure to read to the end of the tutorial so you don’t miss the added ingredient that will get your kids to want to wash their hands more often!

Supplies you will need:

• Mason jar with lid
  • spray paint (I use silver metallic)
  • nail
  • hammer
  • permanent marker
  • dish or hand soap with pump dispenser
  • optional: hot gun with glue
  • ruler
  • heavy-duty scissors or pliers

DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser Tutorial

1. Remove the circle part from the lid and separate the two pieces. Then spray paint only the top of the Mason jar lid if it has some writing on it. I wouldn’t recommend brushing on paint, otherwise it will streak and it may not give a clean finish.
  2. Spray paint one to two coats of paint on your lid. Be certain you allow for proper drying time before handling or you will end up with fingerprints or smudges. 
  3. Take out the soap dispenser pump from the original plastic dispenser and look at the size of the base. Eye-balling the size or measuring the thickness of it with a ruler, find something like a penny or the top of a marker that matches the same size. For me that ended up being a marker top.
  4. Trace around the item with your permanent marker to create a circle that will be cut-out for the pump. 
  5. Put the top of the lid back on the jar, and secure it with the lid ring. Then use the nail and hammer to punch holes along the circle. Leave some space between the first round of holes so that you don’t have one side totally punched out – that will make making holes around the circle very hard. You want to leave just enough of the circle intact that the middle of the lid doesn’t pop out until you are ready.
  6. After you can’t make more holes because the nail slips to the side into the holes you already made, use your scissors to cut the rest of the lid. I used my flower scissors, because they are strong enough. If you don’t have heavy-duty scissors, you could also use pliers to remove the center. 
  7. It’s better to make the hole a little too small than too big so you don’t have to start over. Ideally, you want the little sharp edges that result from the nail punctures to grab around the pump when you insert it into the hole in the top. Mine fit perfectly and won’t budge. You could seal the pump to the jar lid top by adding some hot glue to the underside of the lid where it meets the pump.
  8. Now you are ready to add soap to the Mason jar, and to screw the pump top to the jar for your finished Mason jar soap dispenser. You may have to cut your pump straw a little shorter to make it fit depending on the size of your jar.
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gmadiane
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I just thought it was kind of cute

Alwaysmotivated Carlene :)
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i would use it in the Kitchen.. pretty neat idea..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)