Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm going to grow an avocado plant

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

I was looking for a recipe for guacamole today and came across this idea on a kids' site. I'm not a kid, but growing stuff is fun, so I'm going to try it. :)

GROWING AVOCADO PITS

This is so much fun.  My kids HATE guacamole, but they love growing the avocados, so they always ask to make it *laugh*.  These plants grow HUGE!!

Push three toothpicks in each avocado about a 1/3 of the way from the bottom (large end of the pit).

Suspend the avocado over a glass (the toothpicks will hold it up).  The pit should be in 1/2 inch or so of water.  Keep the level constant by adding water as needed.  DON'T change the water.

First, small roots appear on the bottom side, then the pit cracks and you can see the developing stem. There may be more than one stem and these should always be left alone. When the stem reaches 6 inches, cut it back to 3 inches; this induces a bushy leafy plant. 

avocado

Plant them after about 2 1/2 weeks.  Remove or break toothpicks off before planting. The upper portion of the seed must be exposed to allow new stems to grow so don't bury it all the way under the ground. The avocado should be potted in a large clay pot in a light sandy soil mixture.

Avocado plants need good light, but not too much direct sunlight.  Let the plants dry out between waterings.  Over watered plants will begin to wilt and shed dried leaves (which leads a lot of people to think they need MORE water which kills them even faster). 

Keep them out of drafts.  Ours always die eventually because we live in a very dry climate.  But they're loads of fun while they last!

avocado
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds lie fun!  I'm going to try it too!  I always end up killing stuff though, I frequently commit planticide.

redredhead
by Still Suspect on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Lol... planticide. Poor plants.

I had this little bonsai for a few years back in my early 20s... That plant was with me through some crazy times in my life!! Then I got kicked out of my house and had nowhere to stay for a few weeks, so I was going to give it to my friend Mama Doom... Well... I forgot it on the hood of my car, so it wound up flying off in the middle of a busy intersection :( It was sad, I felt guilty.

Quoting GoRed:

That sounds lie fun!  I'm going to try it too!  I always end up killing stuff though, I frequently commit planticide.

mykidsmom5
by I can make you STFU on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I love to grow things. Our yard is really small but I still have a garden. Planted in whiskey barrels. Our yard is mostly concrete and pool. So my space is limited. But dammit I'm gonna have my fresh tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, zuchinni, and watermellons!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redredhead
by Still Suspect on Mar. 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM
That's awesome! I am thinking about growing some strawberries too.

Quoting mykidsmom5:

I love to grow things. Our yard is really small but I still have a garden. Planted in whiskey barrels. Our yard is mostly concrete and pool. So my space is limited. But dammit I'm gonna have my fresh tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers, zuchinni, and watermellons!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mykidsmom5
by I can make you STFU on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I use strawberry clay pots for my strawberries. With the limited space I have them on the stairs that go to the top part of my pool with hooks in the fence so as they vine I have a wall of strawberries basically. It works well. And I use tomato cages in the tomato, zuchinni, cucumber and watermellon so they grow up. Gives more room to my walkway where I have them alongside my house. Tomato I am actually trying the upside down hanging planter this yr. And for my herbs I use an upside down patio garden. Its by flambeau upside down patio garden. Works great for herbs and you can put it anywhere.

Quoting redredhead:

Quoting mykidsmom5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by lainey's idol on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Thanks for posting. My son will love this.
Twatter
by HeadTwatinCharge on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM
LO will also love this. She loves avocados.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redredhead
by Still Suspect on Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM
That upside down thing for the tomatoes works pretty well. Mmmm I love homegrown tomatoes. Let me think, we grow watermelon, canteloupe, tomatoes, jalapeƱos, blackberries, zucchini, cucumbers. I think J is going to do potatoes this year too. And we have a fig tree.

Quoting mykidsmom5:

I use strawberry clay pots for my strawberries. With the limited space I have them on the stairs that go to the top part of my pool with hooks in the fence so as they vine I have a wall of strawberries basically. It works well. And I use tomato cages in the tomato, zuchinni, cucumber and watermellon so they grow up. Gives more room to my walkway where I have them alongside my house. Tomato I am actually trying the upside down hanging planter this yr. And for my herbs I use an upside down patio garden. Its by flambeau upside down patio garden. Works great for herbs and you can put it anywhere.

Quoting redredhead:

Quoting mykidsmom5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstkn.identity
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Ooh im gonna do that with kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNDsM
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Looks like fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN