Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do with your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Please list your indoor and outdoor activities, and their ages.  I need ideas. 

DS will be 3 in August

Indoors

Read

Draw

Play with toys, but that's less interactive for us

I have problems coming up with indoor activities.

Outdoors

Playset

Bubbles

Beach (only appropriate about 4 month out of the year)

Walks in the forest (several times a week, but they're short and it's with the dogs)

Bike rides (he hates the bike, so that's rare)

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
juicebox.
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Indoors, we have train and race tracks all over the place.  Thats his main interest, so we play cars.  He's not into crafts or coloring, sometimes playdoh, sometimes painting.  Cars mostly.

Outside, we have a big play structure and sandbox, he's learning to ride his bike this year, he likes hockey, baseball, and soccer, so he's learning those too.  Also swimming, thats huge for both of us.

So those are the main things we like to do.  Sports and cars.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Is it interactive?  I notice that indoors I ineract with him less.  When we're at the park, I engage with him, and chase him.  I do the same when I take him to work, plus he engages with others then.  When we're home, we don't do much together. he plays with his trains or we read a book.  We did interact a lot tonight though, by drawing together.

Quoting juicebox.:

Indoors, we have train and race tracks all over the place.  Thats his main interest, so we play cars.  He's not into crafts or coloring, sometimes playdoh, sometimes painting.  Cars mostly.

Outside, we have a big play structure and sandbox, he's learning to ride his bike this year, he likes hockey, baseball, and soccer, so he's learning those too.  Also swimming, thats huge for both of us.

juicebox.
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

My son won't draw, or color, he hates it so he doesn't even try.  So yeah, cars and trains needs to be interactive.  We've got the wooden train table we play together with, then he's got a play room set up walll to wall with the thomas motorized train sets, so we make that interacctive as well.  My parents bought him a laptop a couple months ago, and lately he's been sucked into that.  I was against it, but he likes the games and it has actually helped him to read and do math, so its not all bad I guess.  But yeah, I make him put that away so we can play normal kid things together, he likes puzzles too and stories at bedtime.

Quoting GoRed:

Is it interactive?  I notice that indoors I ineract with him less.  When we're at the park, I engage with him, and chase him.  I do the same when I take him to work, plus he engages with others then.  When we're home, we don't do much together. he plays with his trains or we read a book.  We did interact a lot tonight though, by drawing together.

Quoting juicebox.:

MNDsM
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM
When my boys were little I would go get a huge roll of paper, I think the kind to cover banquet tables. I would unroll about 6 feet along my hall way and either leave it on the floor or pin it to the wall. It was our graffiti project, we would take weeks covering every inch if space.

With all my sons we do "disco dance party". I turn on some loud music, yell disco dance party!!! And we dance our heads off. The goal is to be as crazy as possible.

Building forts is always fun. I used to build a blanket fort in the living room and we'd watch a movie on the lap top, like a drive in.

Oh, right now toddler D and I enjoy mess day. It's the day I take newspapers for recycling, I get the recycling container out and we rip, tear and crumple newspaper to our heart's content. :D

When my twins were around four we started writing our family story. We would add chapters a couple of times a week.

Sword fighting is always fun. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM

OOOOOH I LOVE the big paper idea.  I can cover a wall in the playroom with that paper, and replace it when it's covered!  AWESOME.   I also like the puzzle idea.  These are good!  I'm not creative.

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Pinterest is full of ideas.

DS and DD made candle votives. I let the, paint glue onto the outside, then took colored Epsom salt (just salt and food coloring) and had them roll the votive in the salt. Then sprayed an adhesive over it. Best part is the Epsom salt is scented, so it makes your entire home smell good.
GracieK89
by Still Suspect on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM
My son is still pretty little and I feel like he gets bored easily, so am always looking for new ideas. Pinterest has become of favorite for new activity ideas! :)

Stuff we do Inside:
-Play cars/trains
-Read books
-Color/paint
-Koolaid Playdough... He likes to eat it more than play with it lol
-"Cook" (ie: When I cook, L loves to "help" so I give him a little pot and cooking spoon and put cheerios, crackers, apple slices (any snack) jnside and he stirs it all up (& eats it lol) and carries the pot all over :)
-Puzzles
-Dance/sing songs
-"Chores" - L LOVES wiping the table, sweeping the kitchen floor (as in shoving everything under the stove - typical boy), helping put laundry in the W/D, and riding on the vacuum lol. It's a win-win bc I can get stuff done and he's still at the phase where he thinks cleaning is fun and another game.
-Build forts/tents/obstacle courses
-Magnets
-Cards - I bought some cheap picture cards and made it into a game where I lay them out and ask L where a certain picture is and he finds it. He loves it & it has helped him learn a bunch of new words and names for things.
-Hubby made L a sensory table that we fill with diff stuff frequently: water, beads, dry noodles, rice.

Outside:
-Swim when we can
-Bubbles
-Chalk
-Bikes/wagon
-Go to the park
-Nature walks... We collect leaves, pinecones, bark, etc and he feels the different textures while I describe them to him.
-Duck pond

Wow i wrote a novel, sorry. :( Hope it helps though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)