Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Plan Meals?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 423 Total Views

If so, how far in advance do you plan them?  I end up at the grocery store almost every day, and I buy on  a whim, I spend SO MUCH on groceries that it's ridiculous.  I'd say I easily spend at least $200 a week on groceries and it's just me and DS (and DS is with his Dad for a couple of days a week), and two dogs.  Plus I eat out for lunch EVERY day.  My food budget is out of control, I bet I spend at least $300 a week on food, probably more.  I live in a HCOL area, so food prices are outrageous here, but I bet I could cut y cost in half if I paid attention.  I may try cooking meals in advance, like lunch the night before, have certain dinners on certain days, etc.  So

Do you plan meals in advance?  How far in advance?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I don't meal plan, but I've definitely gotten better at knowing what groceries I need to keep around the house.  Saves me a lot of money.  And I don't eat out for lunch everyday, but only because I'm not working anymore.  If you want to meal plan, I'd say map out a week and go from there.  Anything beyond that and you're buying too much junk anyway.  Once a week is good because you can keep most produce, dairy, bread, and meat fresh for about a week.  Anything that lasts longer than that isn't any good for you.  (unless you freeze it, of course.)

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on May. 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Yeah, I'm only eating out so much because I have been working so much, but my busy season is over soon, and I'll be working less than thirty hours over the summer.  I feel guilty eating out, plus DS is eating out with me.  I want to cook for him, and sit down at the table with him.  I can't cook, so that's another problem, plus it's a nightmare to clean up after a good meal.

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM
I just spent $515 on groceries yesterday. Fucking ridiculous!

Every time I plan a weekly menu, DH comes home and says he is not hungry, or doesn't want what I am cooking. Or something comes up and I can't cook that night and e defrosted meat in the fridge goes bad. So fuck it.

I shop for weekly now and buy for 6 dinners. I don't decide what's for dinner until afternoon when I pull something out to defrost.
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

whaaaat?  for a week?  is that because you live in California or because y'all buy a lot of food?  Does that include diapers?  Holy Moly!

Quoting Djinn83:

I just spent $515 on groceries yesterday. Fucking ridiculous!

Every time I plan a weekly menu, DH comes home and says he is not hungry, or doesn't want what I am cooking. Or something comes up and I can't cook that night and e defrosted meat in the fridge goes bad. So fuck it.

I shop for weekly now and buy for 6 dinners. I don't decide what's for dinner until afternoon when I pull something out to defrost.

Notice of Fair Use: this comment may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not be specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In such a case, this material is made available in this comment for the advancement of journalism, education, comments, criticism, human rights and research and it is protected under the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

12345abcde54321
by French Maid on May. 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

i meal plan usually 2-5 days in advance, depending on how organized i'm feeling.

i spend a ridiculous amount of money at the grocery store (very little on takeout).. like 800-1000/month.

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Quoting yourpinkone:

Nah, I just bought a lot of food. By surpassingly not i much for $500. I cloth diaper and breastfeeding. LO mostly eats diced table food now, so I only bought 5 jars of baby food. And I didn't buy any meat. I spent $100 at the meat market down the street.

I had a friend with me, so I took advantage of that and filled 1 and 1/2 carts full. Sad thing is, the more I buy, the more they fucking eat! I'm sure I will be back to the store within 2 weeks.

Oh and apparently that much at a grocery store is suspicious, according to my bank, and they put a hold on my card. Fucking embarrassing!

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

Nah, I just bought a lot of food. By surpassingly not i much for $500. I cloth diaper and breastfeeding. LO mostly eats diced table food now, so I only bought 5 jars of baby food. And I didn't buy any meat. I spent $100 at the meat market down the street.

I had a friend with me, so I took advantage of that and filled 1 and 1/2 carts full. Sad thing is, the more I buy, the more they fucking eat! I'm sure I will be back to the store within 2 weeks.

Oh and apparently that much at a grocery store is suspicious, according to my bank, and they put a hold on my card. Fucking embarrassing!

holy shit, dude.  And I don't mean that in a rude way.  I mean it in a "holy shit that's a lot of food" way.  I might spend $600 a month on groceries, meat included.  It was a lot more when I worked because I didn't cook as much.  I probably spent twice that.  I've gotten pretty good at cutting back.  We were wasting a lot.

And that fucking sucks about the bank.  What a pain in the ass.  One time Best Buy wouldn't take a check I wrote because TeleCheck said it was "outside of their guidelines."  I had to stand in Best Buy and transfer money on my phone and use my debit card.  When I called TeleCheck to bitch, they said, "well, you don't normally write checks for $3000 at Best Buy."  No shit, assholes.

Notice of Fair Use: this comment may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not be specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In such a case, this material is made available in this comment for the advancement of journalism, education, comments, criticism, human rights and research and it is protected under the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on May. 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Ugh, you must have cringed when yuo heard the amount.  LOL about the hold on the card.

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Quoting yourpinkone:

Well, we rarely eat out, and DH and DS are human garbage disposals. 3 meals a day, plus snack after school (applesauce yogurt, chips and some junk) it adds up. I have 3 kids that are 90 percentile and higher in height. They eat a lot and drink a lot.and I refuse to buy organic. Welch's juice is fucking expensive! And yes they drink a lot of water too.

And California isn't very cheap either.

Plus I only buy tide detergent, because nothing else gets the stains out. Plus woolite for DHs dress shirts. I do 2 loads of laundry everyday. I spent $60 alone on detergent, but that should last me longer than a week. Lol.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Quoting GoRed:

Yeah, they wrapped all my meat, then I had to call my bank and curse at them, and wait through the automated bullshit.

I turned bright red when he kept swiping my card and finally yelled over the meat counter those awful words "declined".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN